This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

`74 154 lo boy?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jfwyatt1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28714

`74 154 lo boy?

Postby jfwyatt1 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 am

my family owns a small camp ground and is looking at this 154 lo boy to use for mowing the large flat areas. everything about it seems to be in great shape it hasnt ever been restored and the paint is excellent. ive been told that these tractors have some issues with the pto clutch system. what do i need to look at to see if this is in good shape. the tractor will only be used for mowing the large flat areas so it should ever be abused much. the guy is asking $2500 and says it was his fathers and has been kept in a barn all its life. they used it for mowing the yard . it seems to start great, dosent smoke, has a very small leak from 1 of the hydrolik hoses where it goes into the deck lift cylinder and besides that looks great. do you guys think this would work for us or should we find somthing else. we cant afford more that around $3000 right now but have to have somthing better than the small riding mowers were using there costing a fortune to keep the belts and engines running .

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

duff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47462

Re: `74 154 lo boy?

Postby duff » Sun May 16, 2010 11:51 am

Don't let the grass grow too high the 60" deck is nice for big lawns! Mine cuts great but does use about 1 deck belt per season. Can buy a new one for $25-30 from NAPA so it isn't much of a deal for me. Mine had the rigid tubing develop a leak in the hydrolic lines that was making a mess but was easy for this non-gear head to fix on my own.

I am currently working on fixing the transmition/clutch so I am a bit bummed on the 154 right now. I'd try to offer less but I have seen them go for more so it is up to you. It also depends on how bad you all need a new mower. Good luck and have fun!

DanBuckman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18942

Postby DanBuckman » Sun May 16, 2010 1:04 pm

""my family owns a small camp ground and is looking at this 154 lo boy to use for mowing the large flat areas""

My grand mother always wanted a "little house with allot of big rooms"

I don't think the cub would give you much if any cost savings (especially if you are paying interest on any money).

And it may actually be slower than something smaller with a 4 foot deck that can travel faster (sears biggest or one of the larger old cub cadets eg.)

But:
The cub has a 4 cyl low rpm motor (smooth and quiet) Larger tires that smooth out the ride and you sit up better.
You can pretend your driving a real tractor.

So maybe if your kid or someone else is doing the mowing get a big used sears or some other buzz box, if it's for you get the cub.

oojimmyc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 80003
Tractors Owned: '69 IH 154 Lo-Boy

Postby oojimmyc » Sun May 16, 2010 7:42 pm

I kind of agree with Dan. If you just want the tractor because it is what it is...pretty much a collector that is perfectly suited for your purpose...that is really KOOL to drive and makes you look like a tractor stud out there on it...then buy it and enjoy. However; if you want just to cut grass and have a mower that parts are readily available for that still costs out the ying yang, then buy a decent John Deere lawn tractor with a 42" deck that a 10 year old kid can drive. You should be able to get a decent used one for less than 3 grand...However again...you won't even look as cool when your on it :-:-):

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”