This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 lo-boy starter

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
justme
10+ Years
10+ Years

154 lo-boy starter

Postby justme » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Can someone help me with putting a starter/ring gear on my 154 lo-boy as far as what parts and where to find needed parts. I would love to get rid of the starter/generator combination. Thank you Ron

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:45 pm

Ron,

You are talking about two very different animals. The regular Cub flywheel/clutch will bolt right up to your engine, but you will have no way to connect the driveline with its' funky remote clutch. There's a good reason your tractor has the starter/generator.

Let's concentrate instead on making your starter/generator system work as it should. It's a good system.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:58 pm

I'm not very familiar with the number series, but wasn't the 185 basically the same tractor except with a standard starter
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:47 am

John - I believe the 154 and 185 had the starter / generator. The 184 had a standard starter.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:07 am

Hmmmm,
CN used a 10HP Briggs engine for different applications. All of the engines had starter generators on them. Sometimes the regulators would be a little combative, but they worked well.

I know for sure that they could fit on a regular Cub, I'll have to check the rotation, but do you think they would turn the crank on a Cub? I'm think they probably will, and would be a good back-up if you had to send your starter away.

I have a couple spares and have been wanting to experiment.

I'm not familiar with the number series either. Does the 154 have the same engine as a regular Cub?
Just Do It !

Chris Palmer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Palmer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:24 am

Ron,

I aggree with George, fix the orginal starter/generator. My 1977 184 serial #45805 is about 200 units earlier than the conversion to a seperate starter and generator done sometime around Nov. of '77. The unit was bad when I purchased it. A trip to the local auto electric shop ( where I've had other 6 and 12 volt starters and generators rebuilt) cured the problem.

Although there is a place to mount a starter, there is no flywheel. Installing one would be quite a daunting task. My rebuilt starter/generator turns over the engine with ease and starts a properly tuned engine in 2-3 seconds. It also maintains a charge when the electrical system is under max. load with all the lights on bright and electric PTO engaged. Just make sure the belt is tensioned properly.

I paid just under $100 to have the orginal unit totally rebuilt. Well worth the money. Although I have 2 '48 FCUBs which I enjoy, the 184 is my favorite. It has the same C-60 engine, transmission and rear end, amoung other thing as it's grandfathers (the '48s) yet handles and rides so differently, with much more power. Now, if I could only find the 3-point hitch accessory for it........

Just my thoughts,

Chris Palmer

justme
10+ Years
10+ Years

starter help

Postby justme » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:17 pm

Thanks to all for the replys , i have had the starter/ generator rebuilt on one of my 154's i have the engine off the other one, thought i would try the conventional starter setup. just a project for this winter. Ron

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”