This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 154 clutch

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub 154 clutch

Postby bookman51 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:25 am

I have a 1969 Cub 154 serial 10325. I have been having some problems with the clutch. Sometimes in shifting gears, I could not shift from one gear to the other. If I engage the clutch pedal two or three times, then I could shift. Also, when I engaged the clutch pedal sometimes the tractor would not immediately stop....seemed like the clutch was not disengaging.

Then yesterday in walking where I mowed last week I found what looks like the center piece (like a larger washer) for the clutch facing.

I assume I need a new clutch. Right?

How hard is it to replace the clutch on a Cub 154? I do have the service and parts manuals. Never done this before (obviously) and looks harder on the older Cub 154 like I have than on those above searial 18709.

Anyone know if the clutch package still available from Case-IH or elsewhere.

Thanks

Larry Hardesty
ebony51@frontiernet.net

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Cub 154 clutch

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 am

A clutch pack is still available, but you will find notes that indicate that the newer design stuff should be used from the later S/N 154. I doubt the original "exact" replacement parts are available for the older design.

I wouldn't buy parts until you see what you have. You might just need some new clutch brake buttons and a good adjusting.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Good advice, but I don't know what to make of the center piece out of the clutch disc plate. Unnecessary part or something that holds everything to gether and it is waiting fly apart??

Larry

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:37 pm

outdoors4evr, You go thinking. Is a Cub 154 with serial 010325 one of the older models? The service manual talks about moving the engine forward 1/2 inch. So, I am wonder just hard is the change out. I need to get things apart and take a good look. Maybe just the clutch brake buttons and a good adjusting...if I am lucky.

Thanks

Bookman

buck2850
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37398

Postby buck2850 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 am

Hey Larry .... I just replaced the clutch,pressure plate,and throw-out bearing on my 154, and while it is not a job that you can rush, it is a pretty straight-forward repair,and yes you will have to move the engine forward as much as you can as the drive shaft has to move forward in order to be slid-out of the throw-out bearing,clutch,and pressure plate assy....... there is a shop manual available here which is all you will need, and one final thing ...... I would go ahead and replace everything while you are at it,including those two v-belts that power the pto, as it will be much easier to do while you have it all down.

good luck !!

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Folks, Well, I getting started and have a few questions:

1. I got to about step three (after taken a couple of covers off) where the manual says knock the pin out of the shaft that holds the drive shaft to the flywheel. Well, I have been trying but that sucker is in their tight. Can it go out either way or is it tapered? Or can I just take out the bolts or just loosen the bolts that holds the plate (the that as the pin in it) to the flywheel.

2. About the belts, sure enough if I do not replace them, something will go wrong. So, can I get them from NAPA or some auto supply store or are they a Case-IH item only.

Thanks much.

Larry H.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Well, I stopped by the local Case-IH dealer today. The piece I thought was from my clutch is probaby an extra piece from the pto clutch. I remembered there had a been a piece in the tool box under the seat, which is what I probably found where I had mowed.

I went back and did some adjustments on the clutch. Most of the time it stops spinning when I hit the clutch for not all the time. Don't know if the two little dowels are worn down. I could not find them, and I get the bad feeling to replace them I must go through about the same procedure as if replacing the clutch? Right?? Anyway, I will give it a shot to just adjust the clutch.

Thanks for the help and welcome any further advice.

Larry H.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”