This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH 184 loboy starting problem

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hdjohnny
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68106

IH 184 loboy starting problem

Postby hdjohnny » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 am

tractor ran fine all summer then went to start it yesterday and it won't turn over or even click. Cleaned battery terminals and checked battery. Maybe a safety switch some where or something? (guessing)
Please help!!!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH 184 loboy starting problem

Postby gitractorman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

First, make sure that your battery is good. They can suddenly die or have a cell go bad, especially if the key was left on, or headlights were left on, and the battery was able to drain completely.

Second, check your PTO switch. The 184 uses the electric PTO switch, little toggle switch that you must lift and push forward to engage. Sometimes the contacts in those go bad, and the tractor thinks that the PTO is on, thus locking out the starter circuit.

Another switch to check is the clutch pedal switch. It is a plunger style switch, usually on the frame under the tractor, that a metal tab pushes when you depress the clutch pedal. Also known to go bad, or the little metal tab breaks off and is no longer pushing the plunger.

Those would be my first items to check.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:21 pm

And the solenoid.

Everyting Bill suggested. Start with a wiring diagram for the tractor. Then with a multimeter start checking for full or near full battery voltage at each wiring junction in the wiring diagram of the starting circuit.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Along with the items already mentioned also check and clean the other ends of the battery cables. Cleaning the terminals is only a start. Both ends of both cables must be clean and tightly connected. With a wiring diagram you can temporarily bypass the safety switches to see if they are the problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:21 am

Checkout the wiring for corrosion on the copper and the battery cables too and if you have a replacement terminal take it apart and clean were the cable is clamped too.

T0o fast check the starter i use the jumper cables from the battery to the starter directly to see if it turns over. If you turn the key on at the sametime it should start.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”