This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

185 Lo-Boy Question

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
winchester1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16652

185 Lo-Boy Question

Postby winchester1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and was hoping you all could help me with a problem I'm having with my 185 Lo-Boy. I just purchased the tractor a couple of days ago, the wife a I just got 2 acres that has been in disrepair for years and the cub came with a loader, dozer blade and a mower deck. The machine runs beautifully, the hydraulics all work great and everything is fine except for the shifter. It flops all over the place and you can get first and reverse most anywhere, 2nd and 3rd are tough to find, but they are there. The most annoying aspect of this problem is that it pops out of reverse constantly. Light (very light) pressure on the shifter keeps this from happening. I'm hoping others are familiar with this problem and know the fix. I'm guessing the ball on the bottom of the shifter is worn or the shift fork(s) are bad.
Any info would be very helpful and Thanks,
Jeff

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 185 Lo-Boy Question

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:13 am

Welcome to the forum, Jeff! You'll need to pull the top off the trans. and have a look around. Common problems are the ball you mentioned, cracked/broken/loose shift forks and the bottom portion of the shift tower, which has the guide for the lever may have come loose. Whatever you find, it will likely be an easy fix.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:05 am

From my little/past experience, you'll be acres ahead if you pull the fenders/seat support and associated sheet metal. The IPTO shaft makes it a little tough to wrestle off the top of the tranny even with the sheetmetal off. It's also MUCH easier with the rear tires off even though it's extra work. Get the seat off and the battery out and all the sheetmetal can be lifted off in one piece.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:42 am

Jeff, welcome. To add to Gary and Phazer, here's an old post detailing the probable shifter issue. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54956&p=454087&hilit=loose+shifter#p454087 It's a common issue with cubs. Your's will be slighly different than a regular cub because your lever is curved and has a guide pin to keep the shifter from rotating around in circles(like the regular cubs can), but the curved disk still breaks loose on the numbered series cubs.

Keep us informed and keep coming back,
Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:54 am

Welcome to the forum. If you need any parts i would checkout TM tractor parts for new parts or "hamiltonbobscubs" on ebay at the "154cub" list of used parts.

On my 154 it was jumping out of reverse too. I found the fork loose so i tightened the shifter fork bolt and did the welded trick on the fork since it wasn't welded yet. It welds the upper section of the fork to the lower section of the fork so its solid and can't work loose again. It makes the bended halves one peice. I would check to see if its welded on the top of the fork too. Most cub trannies i check have been welded already. The first thing i do now is to pull the shifter cover assembly to check the forks for being tight on the guide rods and see if the 1st & reverse fork is welded. Then i know the tranny won't give me "od ji ta" down the road.

Funny how i just checked out a cub cadet with the same problem which i have to repair too in the near future.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

winchester1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby winchester1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the great info. The link with the photos was very informative. If the shifter guide has come loose can I tack weld it back to the underside of the cover? Also Bill mentioned welding the shift forks if they are loose, what should I look for as far as them being loose and what exactly do I weld? The more I use this tractor the more I like it, the popping out of reverse issue seems to be improving the more I use it but that may just be wishfull thinking on my part. I kind of stumbled on to this one when I was looking for an older Cub, but really wanted a loader, so this one seems to be perfect. I know you guys haven't seen it but what is the "going rate" for a 185 with a loader, dozer blade and a 60" deck? I gave $2850.00 for it, it's not a beauty queen (yet) but other than the issues we are talking about everything works great.
Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to learning more!
Jeff

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phazer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:23 pm

From what I've seen, loaders are "FAR AND FEW BETWEEN". And I do mean far . . .

About the only thing rarer, is snowblowers and tillers.

winchester1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby winchester1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:10 pm

I'll give posting a photo a try. The loader, the dozer blade and the deck are all International pieces. I don't know why the photo came out so small , it kept saying the file was too big and when I down sized it to the recommended size it came out like this - old guys and computers!
Last edited by winchester1 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phazer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 am

Niiiiiiiiccceeeee . . . ! ! !

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Jeff:

Congrats on acquiring your new to you Lo-Boy :applause:

Pics... if you use the attachment option here on the forums you are limited to essentially a large thumbnail. If you want a larger pic then I would suggest you utilize the CubFest Photohost which exists for members to upload pics and link to the forums here. These articles might help you :

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

I do not have a lot of stuff on the Numbered Series Cub Lo-Boys but I do have these:

International Cub 185 Lo-Boy Operator's Manual 8-75

IH-54 Blade

TC-131 Parts Catalog Revision 8 Index which has a lot of info on the attachments you have ...

IH 1050A Loader and the mower - not sure which one you have but you can figure out which mower you have under the Other Equipment link.

Rick has you covered on the shifter issues.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

winchester1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby winchester1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Rudi,
My gosh! Thanks for all the info! Being able to look at the owners manual is fantastic. I can't say thanks enough for all the help you guys have given me. I'll let you all know what I find when I get to look at things. I'll get the picture thing mastered too.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Hey I got it!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”