pto clutch

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Had to take the pto unit out again today and take the dreaded snapring off the end again to put more shims in the unit after the break-in hours and got good snap this time on the lever, so will see how goes!---was mowing ok for quite a few hours then started slippin again, so I shut down right then and did the re-adjustment! ---after you work on the unit,---you might have to re-adjust them!----I still dont have fenders or any of the tin put back on! ---still lookin at my hyd. leak, and put a board to keep the fluid off the belt!----red-neck re-pair, but for now its all that I can afford!

I did mow about 50 feet of the chicken corn stalks after picking to see if the clutch would hold, and it did!---the other day I got into some thick crabgrass, and that made the belt squall and the clutch slip!---nasty stuff! thanks; sonny

Re: pto clutch

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:31 am

I'd spray it with degreaser real good and then get some dye and put in the system. Run it for a few hours and then crawl underneath and have a look/see. You have to use a "blacklight: to see the dye but might be a good investment, can be used on other cars, truck, and tractors.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 am

The clutch should not need adjustment after a few hours of use. Something is not correct with the clutch. Did you replace the large actuator bearings? Are the concave washers new or old?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:05 pm

I put it together as per instructions, and that was mistake number 1!---this time I put it together and adjusted it as per eyeball clearance , and feel! I didnt think the way they said to do it sounded right!---and it wasnt!---at least I can mow again, 1 more time!---the rest of the mowings will be with the Dixon! ---leaves will be falling soon, and the Dixon had a gas tank valve leak, which I think is now fixed with an adapted plug into the bottom of the gas tank! thanks; sonny