This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

185 pto assembly

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
56FordGuy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37022
Tractors Owned: 154 LoBoy, 185 LoBoy, IH 424, Ford 8N

185 pto assembly

Postby 56FordGuy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:15 pm

While replacing the rear main seal on my 185, I removed the PTO driveshaft. When I did that, I separated it at the clutch pack. The discs slid out of the cup. I did not remove them from the shaft they're on, in order to keep them all in the proper order.

I reassembled the PTO drive by sliding everything back together, only to find it's stuck in the engaged position. The engagement lever does move like it should and locks into both positions, but it has no effect on the PTO clutch. The clutch remains engaged. I'm hoping to disassemble the drive system the same way tomorrow afternoon, what should I look for?

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 185 pto assembly

Postby Landreo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 am

How did you pull the shaft? Shaft only from the front or did you also remove the clutch itself? If you pulled the PTO shaft only, there are 2 pilot bearing, roller bearings, make sure one did not lose its rollers and are jamming the PTO drive shaft into the clutch shaft.

HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Make sure the rearmost friction plat in inside the cup. If the last one is not in the cup, and forced against the rear of the cup, it will be in drive all the time. If that does not work you may try loosing the 3 big bolt that hold the base of the unit, let it "Relax" the tighten them again. Not sure what else it would be if your cams are locking in and out of gear.
Good Luck
hamiltonbob

56FordGuy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37022
Tractors Owned: 154 LoBoy, 185 LoBoy, IH 424, Ford 8N

Postby 56FordGuy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm

When I removed the driveshaft, I removed the clutch assembly from the rear portion of it.

If you look at the clutch assembly from the rear, on the lower left there is a tab that extends down and left from the clutch. It has two holes in it, one of which goes over a bracket that is attached to the rear frame. I didn't have the hole in the tab on the bracket, I missed that when I was putting it back together. Seems to be working well now.

Thanks y'all!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”