Another newbie question :-(

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm out in the barn working on the 154 and take off the top hose for the radiator. It was stuck to the block when I brought it home. I look down what should be the thermostat housing to see no thermostat. So my question is, do these run a thermostat and if so, any part number for one? Is there an automotive one I can use? Thanks.

Re: Another newbie question :-(

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:45 pm

No thermostat. The system is a thermosiphon type system, as opposed to a water pump/pressurized system.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks Don. I had a single cyclinder diesel that operated the same way. At least that is one less thing I need. I am getting quite a list together. I am now realizing that tha PO either really did not know much about this tractor or just told big fibs. :x
Since I already have the heading of "Another Newbie Question", I am going to ask a few more. If you all don't mind... :oops: Here is the list of what I know of so far that I need for the tractor.
1- Air inlet hose from filter housing to carb.
2- Air filter
3- Upper radiator hose
4- PTO drive pulley, (mine the hub spins inside of the pully)
5- Both ideler pulleys for the mower deck
6- New hydraulic hose to the cyclinder under the tractor
7- Throttle cable
8- Head light bulbs

#5 I believe I can come up with. #6 and #8 are no problem. #7 I am going to try to make my own as the price I heard was out-ragous for this piece. However #1-4 I could use some advice as to where to get them. Thanks for all your help, and I promiss I will learn quick so I don't keep asking these dumb questions. :?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:54 am

Sometimes you can buy a generic throttle assy and cut the bent ends off and slide it into your old housing. Be aware there are different diameters out there.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:03 am

Phazer wrote:Sometimes you can buy a generic throttle assy and cut the bent ends off and slide it into your old housing. Be aware there are different diameters out there.

Problem is I have no housing, or cable. Just throttle lever.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 am

You should contact Hamilton Bob, a forum member from the Cinci. area. He's a great source for used parts for # series lowboys. His Ph. #: 513-582-8424 E-mail: 154fan@gmail.com

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks, I'll give him a call.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 am

handyhiker wrote:Problem is I have no housing, or cable. Just throttle lever.

LOL . . . now that's funny there.

I've even bought a new throttle assy that is wrong and pried the "pinch-point/clamp" at the throttle end so I could use the housing/cable.

Just a thought . . .

BTW, Hamiltonbob is great to do business with.