This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sluggish Starter Rotation. New Bat. No Start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fgr33n
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44255

Sluggish Starter Rotation. New Bat. No Start

Postby fgr33n » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi all, I'm a learning-as-I-go mechanic. Since buying my 154 several years ago it has alwasy been a very sluggish "turner" but a great starter. Meaning the starter turns over very slowly. This was usually not a problem, as the machine would fire and start very quickly even though the starter was turning very slowly. However, it is now turning so slowly that it will not fire. (slow rotation, pause 1 sec, slow rotation, pause 1 sec...). Since the battery is pretty old, I just replaced it with a new one-- same problem.

As far as I can see the wiring all looks good with no corrosion. I couldn't really check the wiring at the dash, as it looks like the gas tank has to come out to see it. (is this true?) Anyway, I'm guessing that the starter generator needs to be replaced (or rebuilt). Is this a good guess and where can I buy one? Thanks in advance for your help

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Sluggish Starter Rotation. New Bat. No Start

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Check all your electrical connections and if they are all clean and good your starter needs cleaning and or repair.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Concur on cleaning up all (and there are a bunch of them) of the electrical connections - including the grounds. Check the cables for interior corrosion. Might just want to replace the ground cable first because it's inexpensive.

If not that, then the starter/generator probably needs servicing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 am

Clean those replacement terminals were the two 1/4" bolts clamp the cable to the battery terminal. These seem to corrode more in this area. If you have those which most of these older tractors do. As mentioned above too clean the connections at the cables ends were they attach to the tractor too.

You could remove the fan belt and let the starter/generator spin by itself so it will clean the armature on its own by free wheeling it. Then reconnect it and give that a shot. then you know its working too if it doesn't make any funny or weird noises.

Go to ebay and get the replacement bearings/brushes to rebuild your S/G or napa will have the parts too. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 am

Jumping directly from a known good battery directly to the starter will tell you if the wireing is faulty.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”