This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil light stays lit

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Oil light stays lit

Postby seahaul » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:20 pm

How much oil pressure does it take to make the oil light go out? Can I test the pressure switch with comressed air to see if it's working? If so, how much pressure should I use?
I have a new-to-me 154 that had the light disconnected when I got it so I don't know if the switch is working properly or if I don't have any oil pressure. After priming the oil pump and removing the spark plugs and oil filter, I see just a dribble of oil coming out of the galley hole when I crank the engine over. How much flow should I be seeing there?
Thanks,
Charlie

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Oil light stays lit

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Use 10 PSI air pressure to test the switch. No continuity, buy a new switch.

You are not going to have oil pressure until the oil filter housing is completely full of oil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:48 am

Oil sending units vary some but most operate in the 6psi neighborhood, so as Eugene said, testing at 10psi should do it. I would connect a gauge to the engine to find out what you actually have.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:31 pm

I changed out the oil pressure switch for one that I know works and still get no oil pressure.
Any suggestions on where to look?
Charlie

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 pm

What is the history of the engine? Recent overhaul?

Oil pressure regulator valve is located on the left front of the engine. Could be stuck open - usually not. Located under big nut below the distibutor. Remove nut, spring and see if the plunger is stuck.

Guessing the reason the oil pressure light doesn't work is that the engine is worn out.
I have an excuse. CRS.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:09 pm

I just bought the tractor so don't know a lot about its history. Engine had a knock which I found to be worn rod bearings on #4 cylinder. Crankshaft looked smooth so I replaced rod bearings with .010 oversize and put in new rings.
It appears that I am not getting the oil pump to prime so my next step is to pull off the oil pan and check the pick up tube for a leak.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Charlie

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:43 pm

seahaul wrote:Engine had a knock which I found to be worn rod bearings on #4 cylinder. Crankshaft looked smooth so I replaced rod bearings with .010 oversize and put in new rings.
Plastigauge the rod and main bearings. Mic the #4 rod bearing journal.

What size were the old rod bearings? Rod bearing clearance? Main bearing clearance? Oil pickup tube in place?
I have an excuse. CRS.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 am

I have finally solved the mystery of no oil pressure. Found that the crankshaft had been turned before and 0.010" bearings installed. #4 rod bearing was damaged so had the crank turned to 0.020" and installed new 0.020" bearings. Still got zero oil pressure. Changed out the oil pressure regulator valve- still no pressure. Removed and examnined the oil pump which was okay.
By now you probably can guess where this is heading. Took the front engine cover off and with a good light, I could just barely see the oil gallery plug hole behind the camshaft gear- note that I saw the hole, not the plug. Plug was missing. Whoever worked on this engine before I bought it left the plug out.
This problem has been driving me nuts for four months! But thanks to finding good information on this site, it led me to look for that missing plug. Thank you to all those who contribute good information here.
Charlie

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 am

Glad you found the issue! Do you think theres any damage to the engine from lack of oil?

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby seahaul » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:13 am

It appears that the engine was not run very long with no oil pressure. I suspect the guy who sold it to me had it rebuilt, couldn't figure out why the oil light would not go out, then unplugged the light and put a "For Sale" sign on it.
The cylinders were in pretty good shape and did not need to be bored. Just needed new rings on the original pistons. Crankshaft was turned and new main and rod bearings put in. Camshaft, lifters, and valves are good.
I now have great oil pressure and compression so it's like a new engine. All in all, I didn't have to spend too much on parts, just a lot of my time trying to figure out what was wrong. I restore Cub LoBoys as a full time hobby so this was a good learning experience. I guess anything that makes one smarter is a good thing.
Thanks Gary Dotson and Eugene for your help.
Charlie

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:09 am

Yep, this board saved me an engine as well! Machine shop failed to replace the oil galley plugs and I caught it BEFORE starting my part of the rebuild--really dodged a bullet there :{_}: To use an old cliche: Forewarned is forearmed :wink: This forum has been a boon and a bane. Gave me the MCC bug, but also taught me how to fix 'em :roll: :wink:

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”