This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Think I Really Blew It This Time

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Think I Really Blew It This Time

Postby gitractorman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 am

Ok, that's much better news. Chances are that the engine came to a hard stop and was sitting on a compression stroke. If you were able to turn it by hand, then there's a chance your starter will now turn the engine over too.

When you had the oil pan off, were you able to verify that all of the connectingrods were in fact connected from the crank to the pistons? If you looked up with a flashlight, you should have been able to look up at all of them. Also, if there were no metal parts laying in the oil pan, then it's a good sign.

While the oil pan is still off, I would give the starter a try, but keep the fuel off and/or keep the coil wire off so the engine will not fire up. If you can get it to crank over by the starter, and you have no clunking noises when cranking, then I would reassemble the oil pan and replace the oil and try to start and run it.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

67datroad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50138
Tractors Owned: 1973 IH Cub Lo Boy 154 3pt-creeper

Postby 67datroad » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Yes, I did get a good look at the connecting rods/crankshaft and everything looks good. No chunks of metal large or small in the oil pan. I think I will still pull the tunnel cover off to check the clutch and the drive shaft. I need to fix those broken bolts any ways. I will disconnect the coil wire to make sure she does not try to fire with the oil pan off. I am hopeful this will not turn out as badly had I had once thought. Still, I am not going to try to pull any more heavy loads with it. I have other methods of getting that done. She is a great mower and can do some light duty hauling but I was over taxing it by quite a bit. Be nice to her and she will return the favors. :D Thanks again.

Steve-in Iowa

67datroad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 67datroad » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Got home tonight and made a bee line to the shed. I got the tunnel cover off and everything in there looks good. Drive shaft, clutch and PTO shaft seem to all be in working order. Nothing looks broken. When I push the clutch in it ever so slightly releases the clutch. I pulled the coil wire and the motor cranks just like it used to. I need to charge the battery fully so I put the charger on it. I did crawl back underneath to take another look at the connecting rods and the crank. I can now with a bit of difficulty turn the crank shaft pulley. I again saw no broken bits and the motor turned and I could hear the sucking sound of compression. I ordered a new oil pan gasket so hopefully that shows up tomorrow so I can put the oil pan back on. I need to tighten the starter/fan belt a wee bit as it has a bit more deflection than it needs. I did have a squeal that I am pretty sure was coming from the PTO drive belts-had that since I bought it. I probably need to adjust the tension on the belts.

Now the bad news. The 3260 mower deck is in great shape except for the center pulley and spindle. I had thought I had bad bearings in it but come to find out the pulley drift key has been chewing on the spindle and pulley for who knows how long. There is no amount of tightening that will take the wobble out of that. And new bearings will not help either. So, I need a center spindle and the pulley to go with it. I looked at Hamiltonbobs and he has them. Kind of pricy but at least he has them. I will just have to bite the bullet on that one.

Hopefully, once I get the oil pan back on and the oil topped off I will be able to hear the tractor run again. Thanks for all the advice. These forums are great.

Steve-in Iowa

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm glad to hear that things look good. The PTO belts are notorious for squeeling. I belive they are Teflon or something and tend to be really stiff and hard to keep tight.

Hamilton Bob's is the way to go on the spindle. He'll get you the parts you need. If that spindle has been wobbling for a while, it's likely beyond being rebuilt anyway. It has probably hit something and bent or at least got the wearing process started.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

67datroad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 67datroad » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Well, the good news is she lives. I put the oil pan back on and topped her off with oil. Put the coil wire back on and turned the gas valve on. She turned right over and tried to start. I happened to look down at the carb and saw fuel spewing out of it. I rapped it lightly several times and the leaking stopped. She purrs like a kitten. I still have that darned noise that I have always had. It sounds like it is coming from the PTO shaft some where. The tranny works as does the PTO so I am just going to live with it. I greased up every fitting I could find. Put the new shroud I bought from Hamiltonbob last year on along with a bumper guard to protect it. The shroud is a very well made piece and fits like a glove. The other one was pretty trashed. Aren't most of them?

Now, my attention goes to the mower deck. I removed the center blade and the damaged center spindle. Sadly the shaft and pulley are pretty chewed up. Once the replacement parts come in I will be able to get that put back together. I greased the outer spindles. I need to pull those blades as well so I can sharpen all three of them. I should have her ready for another season of mowing. I already had new belts to put on.

So, that is my update. These are great little tractors when they are taken car of. Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve-in Iowa

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”