This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

looking at a lo boy to buy

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67601
Tractors Owned: Lo Boy 154 '69
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

looking at a lo boy to buy

Postby Swobee » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 pm

I found a Cub Lo Boy 154, the owner isn't sure of the age - he says 1970's. I havn't gotten to look at it yet but he will get me the serial #. He's asking $2500 - rebuilt clutch/throw out bearings, PTO clutch, front spindles. It has a 60"belly mower, 54" snow blade and three point. I hopeto look at it in the next couple of days. Do the newer lo Boys' PTO's spin CCW like the older ones? Anything special I need to be wary of or look at closely when I get to see it? He also has a single bottom plow and a 3 point drag bucket. I'd like the plow, but not sure I need the drag, but you never know? Thanks- Greg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: looking at a lo boy to buy

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:00 pm

The PTO does spin backwards (CCW) on the numbered series as well.

Check the clutch and all gears. Engage the mower and mow some grass if you can and it's available. Other than that, check the condition of the oil, engine for blow-by, condition of the tires and for any play in the mower spindles. Just the basic overall condition of things.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Greg:

Suggest having a look at the manuals for the Cub-154 Lo-Boy. Might help.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:42 am

If it's a good running tractor and the PTO clutch engages and sounds good, that is a good price for all the things that come with it. The 154 lo-boy was built from 1968 though 1974. It was 15-hp with a manual PTO and was painted yellow/white.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:21 am

It sounds like they already did the expensive repairs so it should be a pretty good deal.

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Thank you all! I need to set a time an go look at it. Better bring the trailer.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Look at all the seals for running seapage. Look for blowby, smoke on start up(cold with the choke out). Check the clutch and PTO for engagement. Check the complete frpame for splits/cracks at the top flats. I find them were the frame goes wider at the turns too. Look at the front axle pin where its fastened to the brackets for walling out the pin hole. Try to move the front axle by the wheel to turn the wheel rearward and forward. Look for looseness in the steering. Drive it in all 4 gears. Check forward and reverse for popping out of gear (loose fork in the tranny).

Everything you find wrong is a bargaining chip. Offer $1,500 cash by showing all 15 / $100 bills in a fan inhand. If its all ok. Start low and stop at $2,000. final offer. Keep the wad of money on seperate pockets never show the whole wad while haggling. Don't be bullish when spending the money hold back and haggle it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:33 pm

What model is the single bottom plow? Is it setup for the 3-point hitch?
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 pm

The plow is a single bottom w/ 3-point attachments. Almost looks home made or it was altered according to the photo he sent me, but can't tell for sure. A lot of welding on the plow framework that let's just say does not look factory.

Thanks for the haggling tips. I have been around the block a bit, but can always use some tips.

Due to the large size of farms out here, these weren't too popular and are not all that easy to find locally. I saw one at an auction last spring go for well over $4000 & I wouldn't have bid over $1800 for it. Needless to say, I didn't even get a bid in on it.

Thanks for all the advice from this forum. I looked at one that a implement dealer truck driver did some horse trading for while he was delivering a combine out of state. It is non-running junk at this point and he wants $3000 as it sits. Amazing what some folks think their stuff is worth!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

With my first one I was looking for an Fcub to mow the new place with. I seen a int154 cub loboy w/3260 deck & 3pt hitch in the local bargain paper with a 60'' deck for $800 and it ran. The PO passed away and the engine was refreshed two years before. Once i seen it ran like a top i couldn't get it on the trailer fast enough. Now i'm rebuilding the 3260 mower deck, putting new bearings in the PTO and doing some rewiring. My second 154 purchase was $400 for a non runner. I removed the head and the honing stone cross hatch looks like it was just rebuilt too. The PTO pulley on the drive shaft wallowed out and they refreshed the engine figuring the noises were comming from the engine. This one is my ongoing FELBkhoe project that i hope to finish up soon. My third int154 w/creeper came with snowplow, wheel weights and chains for $1,700. The silicone on the engine gaskets is still clean since it was just refreshed also. I paid more than i wanted to but she sounds so good and runs awesome. It needs a little fixen here and there but i'm happy with it too. My point is if you wait like i did we can find the prices all over thye place. I'd rather have a decent tractor to start with and pay a tad more than get a clunker for mowing and plowing snow. Unless you have the time for a restoration.

I believe that IH went after the estates with the int154/185/184 series tractors. I think the well to do estate owners didn't want the farm tractor look. But the int154 can also do light duty farm work too. Its not a bad tractor as long as its maintained. I wouldn't hesitate to get another int154.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon May 07, 2012 8:58 am

Swobee wrote:The plow is a single bottom w/ 3-point attachments. Almost looks home made or it was altered according to the photo he sent me, but can't tell for sure. A lot of welding on the plow framework that let's just say does not look factory.

Thanks for the haggling tips. I have been around the block a bit, but can always use some tips.

Due to the large size of farms out here, these weren't too popular and are not all that easy to find locally. I saw one at an auction last spring go for well over $4000 & I wouldn't have bid over $1800 for it. Needless to say, I didn't even get a bid in on it.

Thanks for all the advice from this forum. I looked at one that a implement dealer truck driver did some horse trading for while he was delivering a combine out of state. It is non-running junk at this point and he wants $3000 as it sits. Amazing what some folks think their stuff is worth!

Haggling is very important too you can save lots of $$ when we do it right. I never show my full wad of cash thats why i put a little in each pocket. Your right when people think they have gold. I find the non runners way over priced too. Make sure you check the frame were it goes from narrow to wide for cracks. I find the very abused 154's to have cracks in this area on the frame.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 am

I use my 154 in the garden all the time, it has more limitations than an F Cub, but I rigged one of my drags solid mounted to the rockshaft and I can even go in reverse! It follows my 154 wherever it goes, pretty slick actually, the only chains are the ones that wrap it tite to my bars that go to the rockshaft.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 pm

I forgot to follow up with you guys. I did end up with the LoBoy and attachments. He wanted extra $$ for the implements but I got him talked into the whole enchilada with implements for a pinch under asking price. Now, about a month later, I just found a LoBoy with a belly mower mounted on it and a brand spanking new 48" snowblower attachment that has never been used for $800 less. That's about my usual luck!

I'll say one thing about these LoBoy's, they're mowing machines! Now, any advice for simple removal of the belly mower this fall so I can set the snow blade up? It looks to me that the mower or its frame will hit tires or otherwise be in the way after it's dropped. Short of levitating the tractor, what is an easy way to remove a belly mower? I thought of maybe making a ramp/platform of railroad ties and bridge planks. The planks would be in the middle of the platform & removable. I could drive on, remove the planks, drop the mower, reinstall the planks which would be above the mower now that it's sitting on the ground and drive off the assembly. Think this might work or is my head up my ---? Thanks

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue May 22, 2012 4:29 pm

I always just pulled mine out the side. They are heavy.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 am

Got any pictures of the 48" blower attachment?
The only blowers for these I know of is a 60" IH Model 50 blower and the McKee SnoLander. Both of these are beasts.

I also slide my mower out the side. I use a furniture mover under the back of the mower to give it wheels.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”