This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

looking at a lo boy to buy

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67601
Tractors Owned: Lo Boy 154 '69
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Re: looking at a lo boy to buy

Postby Swobee » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

I thought about sliding the mower to the side, but do you take the frame apart to get clearance from rear tires? I haven't measured, but it looks like there's no way to drag it aside without making a turn to get the back portions of the frame to clear tires. It looks heavy... The more I think of the platform/plank idea, the more I like the sounds of it. No dragging.

I do not have any photos of the snowblower, but had my digital cam and wish I had taken a shot or two. It is 48" wide, but thinking back, I don't recall a manafacturer name or model but know there's a label on it somewhere. It has a long belt that supposedly goes to the PTO pulley. It was never hooked to the tractor and I didn't recall seeing so much as a scratch anywhere on it. The hardware & frame 'looked' like it would line up with the brackets much as the 54 snow blade does. I was traveling through and saw the LoBoy out of the corner of my eye and unfortunately didn't have much time to really look it over. I could call and ask where he ordered the blower to see if it is even the right one for a LoBoy?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed May 23, 2012 9:16 am

I leave the lift mechanism on the tractor and disconnect the mower deck at the deck. I do not recommend driving over your mower deck. Did it once. Never again.

1) Lift mower deck to highest position
2) Put a furniture mover or a creeper under the back of the mower deck
3) Lower mower deck so it is sitting on mover or creeper
4) Shut off tractor and remove drive belt
5) Remove pins that support mower deck
6) Start Tractor, Raise lift, Shut off Tractor
7) Make sure everything clears and slide / roll mower deck from under tractor
8) If you want the lift mechanism off, pull the pins for this and remove by swiveling it out from under tractor.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 am

Greg:

This is probably the most common thrower for the 154. Single stage but it does toss a lot of snow. I have one and man is it a heavy beast :roll: :D

IH 50 Snow Thrower
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Wed May 23, 2012 4:46 pm

I'll try to get a photo or two of the snowblower. It's about 120 miles from me, but I know a guy who lives in that area who might do me a favor. Unless I'm missing something simple, there just doesn't look like any way on the good green earth to simply pull the mower off to a side. There is a lot of hardware with all the rear pivot angle iron framework attached to the back end of the tractor and such in the way. Or maybe that all stays attached to the tractor, but looks like it needs to come off to make room for the snow blade pivot framework?? I have a pallet jack that could be slipped under the mower and pull it right out of the way if it's that simple. Maybe I need to study the framework a bit more and could be making this harder than it needs to be.

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 pm

That photo doesn't look like the blower. It is black in color, which doesn't really matter; doesn't have any IH stickers on it, but I don't recall seeing a label; much smaller in size that the one in diagram. I need to take a real close look before buying it. It's very possible that it might not be right for this model of tractor. The unit isa two-stage, having an impeller perpendicular to the augers. They had it away from the tractor too far to closely compare, but looked like it was a fit. Thanks again

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Greg:

It may actually be a blower for an ATV ... 48" - about right.

Check out these links and see if they look like the mower on the lo-boy you are lookin at.... IH 3160 Rotary Cutter, IH 3260 Rotary Cutter, or the IH 60 Inch Rotary Mower.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Mon May 28, 2012 10:44 am

I wasn't able to spend much time looking at the LoBoy and snowblower. Guess I assumed it was an IH accessory for a LoBoy, since it was at a Case-IH dealer as a trade-in. I didn't ask the sales guy if they ordered the blower for this customer in the past. The snowblower is black in color and the frame sure as heck looked like it was situated for a LoBly mount with long rear pivot arms. Maybe I can get a photo or better yet, my brother is now interested in the unit. I don't need another LoBoy, but wouldn't mind having an older Cub or two, but would probably lose them all in a divorce. If he buys it, I guess I lose out on the blower but could tell you more. Maybe it's not even the right model for a LoBoy?

Swobee
10+ Years
10+ Years
IH 54 Snow Blade
3160? Belly Mower
2N Ford
3-pt sweeps
3-pt scoop
sickle mower

Postby Swobee » Mon May 28, 2012 10:53 am

I ought to just take a picture and post it. The entire unit is a little rough looking, but sure runs like a champ. At the moment the fiberglass front radiator shroud is off. It was broken up and I removed it, but just acquired one through Hamilton Bob's. My hopes are to eventually clean it up and repaint the tractor. I'm leaning more toward the snowblower being for an ATV after seeing one a friend has on his 4-wheeler.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”