This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 lowboy steering wheel

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
glmassar
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45742

184 lowboy steering wheel

Postby glmassar » Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm

I originally had 184 pto quit. I thank all who responded to that.
I have determined that I have a short going from switch to the clutch on the tractor.
I need to know how to take the steering wheel off. I removed the nut but am
unsure if the wheel pops off or it screws off. I need to get to wiring underneath.
I did hot wire to the pto and it works fine. I should have done this first.
Any help would be appreciated. I did put on a new pto switch and replaced fuse even though
it looked ok.

George

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 lowboy steering wheel

Postby twotone » Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 pm

George, you can try sitting on the tractor with your knees pushing up real hard on the wheel while smacking it upwards with your hands, or a wheel puller. I have a 3 point puller that fits perfectly through the center which is the way I have to do it 95% of the time. I use anti-sieze when I reassemble, but I still usally need a puller.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Mon May 21, 2012 7:19 pm

If it's layed out like a 185, you can aslo remove the gas tank and get easy access to everything underneath the dash. Tank is easy to take off, just don't puncture the radiator hose with the tanks front mounting ear.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Be careful with a puller, the skirt on the steering wheel is just plastic. I remove the wheel by taking off the nut, getting a nut and bolt the same size, I don't remember right now what the thread size is, screw the new thicker nut 1/2 way on the steering shaft. Screw the bolt into the nut very tight. The bolt is now tight against the end of the steering shaft and will prevent damage to the shaft or the threads. Sit on the seat, use your knees to lift on the steering wheel, hit the head of the bolt with a hammer several times and the wheel will pop loose, remove the nut and continue pulling and rocking the wheel until it comes off the shaft.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm

My puller is small enough that the legs fit inside the hub of the steering wheel. I screw the bolt almost all the way on to protect the threads and use a small piece of flat stock between the puller and the steering wheel nut.

I always get it off one way or another, but it usally is a pain.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”