This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fixing A Leak

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Fixing A Leak

Postby twotone » Sun May 27, 2012 9:53 am

The easy way. Many times someone comes on here and asks about a leak they have. Many times the answer is " make sure it's not overfull". Ever since I restored my 154 I've had a pretty bad trans leak that I don't think I had before. I was under it yesterday looking for the source, and saw a pipe plug on the left side of the trans that had never been opened since I painted it. I looked at my service manual and parts manual to no avail.

I called a friend of mine that knows these things inside out and asked if that was the full level plug, or is the one in the rear of the trans the level plug. He said "if I used the one in the rear for full reading, I was way over full, use the one on the side." I opened it up and let 4 qts. of Hy Trans run out. No more leak! Thats my kind of repair.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Fixing A Leak

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 pm

The plug on the lower left side of the trans was the hydro return on the early 154's. See what others say, but be careful as I was always told to fill the hydro fluid until it came to the rear fill hole level.
Anyone have an operators manual?
Hamiltonbob

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun May 27, 2012 12:30 pm

All my manuals say "fill to proper level", but they dont tell you what that is. If these rearends are the same as a cub cadet, it should be the same.

Tom

Tom

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun May 27, 2012 12:52 pm

You may be right Bob. Rudi has a manual and it shows that rear center plug the fill and full plug, but there is no mention of the other plug I was talking about. My F Cub has a plug in the same place and that is the full plug? Now I am confused.

Tom

Tom

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Rudi's manual says 7 qts. Back to square 1. Thanks for the heads up Bob. I knew my day couldnt go that easy, but a man has to have dreams.

Tom

Tom

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Hamiltonbob wrote:. . . I was always told to fill the hydro fluid until it came to the rear fill hole level.
Anyone have an operators manual?
Hamiltonbob

Since the Farmall Cub transmission is supposed to take 3-1/2 pints and the 154 takes 6 quarts (or more depending on equipment) and the housing is essentially the same, clearly the level has to be higher in the 154. The 154 Operator's Manual says "Keep the lubricant up to level plug (19) on the rear of the transmission case." Number 19 points to the rear plug and is captioned "Oil filler and level plug."

Since the 154 transmission is the hydraulic reservoir, the level will vary in operation. When at it's lowest, it still needs enough oil to maintain lubrication. Since the oil level in the Farmall remains constant, it only needs the lesser amount to maintain lubrication.

The bottom line on leaks is that the numbered series tractors normally have oil running agains the axle seals. You need to have good seals. So much for the seals "only designed to keep splash inside."

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun May 27, 2012 3:34 pm

I knew an easy fix was asking too much!

Tom

Tom

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 am

Well, I'm adding a little at a time just see how much it takes to make this thing leak. I started with 7 qts and it leaked. Drained out 4 qts, no leak, and leaves me with 3 qts in the trans. I added 2 qts last night, now it has 5 qts in it, no leak. I added 1 qt this morning, drove it around for a while, no leaks with 6 qts total in trans. So the leak happens somewhere between 6 and 7 qts. Next fill is a half qt. and if no leak I'll call her good.

Tom

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon May 28, 2012 10:13 am

OK, to anyone following this, 6 qts and she starts to drip a little. I wonder how bad it is to run it a qt low. I never use the hydraulics on this tractor, strictly a drawbar tractor. And yes, I am looking for the easy out on this one and my SA trans leak. We'll be moving in 1-2 months and I want everything moveable under it's own power.

Tom

Tom

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon May 28, 2012 10:21 am

twotone wrote:We'll be moving in 1-2 months and I want everything moveable under it's own power.

Tom

Throw some sawdust under it and forget you had a problem till after the move. You have too much other stuff to do to prepare for the move to deal with it now. (if you are anything like anyone I have ever known that moved)

Consider the leaks "external Lubrication" for now. Deal with it when you are settled. :big afro:

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 F Cub
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 am

Dale, thats the best advice I've heard all day. I look around and wonder "how are we going to get all this stuff moved". A person (me anyway)accumulates a lot of "stuff" after living in the same house for 23 years.

Tom

Tom

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon May 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Tom:

twotone wrote:Dale, thats the best advice I've heard all day. I look around and wonder "how are we going to get all this stuff moved". A person (me anyway)accumulates a lot of "stuff" after living in the same house for 23 years.

Tom

1 box at a time :idea: When Em and I moved from Ottawa to Dieppe - about 850 miles give or take one or three, it took me 19 trips with a GMC 1/2 ton and an enclosed 6x12 U-Haul on my days off of a 5 watch shift system. We had just combined two homes when we got married and there was a lot of stuff :shock: Got it done though, but I don't think I could do it agin... Still was 1/2 the price of having movers do it for us and I only lost 1 coffee mug that I really didn't much like anyways :lol:

Yeah, Dale has good advice. Fix it later when you have time to enjoy the fix and not have to do it under a lot of self imposed pressure. Do what has to be done to get moved, take a few weeks off after that, then get back to playing with the 154... it will be time well worth spent :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”