This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH 222 Mower Parts

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03229

IH 222 Mower Parts

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey there everyone.
I was fortunate enough to pick up a 154 this spring, with an IH belly mower, tiller, and 222 mower. Unfortunately, the tiller and sickle bar have broke. I was able to repair the tiller, and install the proper shear pins without much ado.
However, the IH 222 is kicking my butt. It seems the pivot out behind the pitman arm froze up, forcing the shaft arm shield to flex beyond its design point, and we broke the outboard side hanger off the mower. Welding it back on isn't that major an issue. Resolving all the other things to prevent its recurrence is.
Anyone run an IH 222 under a 154 Lo Boy? Could I impose on you for a close up photo of the 2 counter balance weights, just upstream of the pitman arm, looking aft under the tractor? I saw the timing marks clearly on the counter balances, yet somehow mine were able to strike each other, ruining the two nylon flywheel gears in the process.
Anyone have any good suggestions about parts availability for IH brand implements? I checked Hamilton Bob's, and the parts tree. I searched through craigslist nationwide, found a number of 154's, but not a single one had an IH 222 mower.
Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH 222 Mower Parts

Postby gitractorman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Sorry, I don't have what you're looking for, and it's going to be hard to find. I've owned Lo-boys for years, and I've yet to even see a 222 sickle mower for a lo-boy. I think I've only ever seen one on e-bay. You might be best off to take some photos and post them here so that folks can see what you've got and what you're up against. Several of the guys here are machinists, and several are excellent fabricators, so there's a good chance that someone can help you out, but we've got to see what you have.

Good luck,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 pm

I have a 222 that's not on a tractor, and been disassembled into the big pieces. I'll take a look and see what I can tell you.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Well, I am both thankful for your assistance, and sorry y'all aren't familiar with them, they cut like no one's business.
If you look at the parts diagram on partstree, look at the page for flywheels and related parts, please see part 19, the flywheel drive gear, 30 tooth, it'll show ya just exactly what I am referring to. There are two, each bolting on to the weighted flywheels, and these two flywheels are not supposed to ever touch. However, as described above, mine did. To very deleterious effect.
Thanks you Mr. McCarty, I appreciate you looking into it for me. Are you uninterested in running your 222? Would you be interested in parting it out?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:52 pm

My 222 will tentatively be installed on a 154 after it has been rebuilt. Could you give me a link to the partstree site. All I'm finding is garden tractor parts.

Thanks, Bob
-Albert Einstein

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Lemme see if this forum allows hyperlinks to be posted: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=cub_ ... 0041050001
I think it less a hyper link, and more a copy and paste exercise.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out an understandable way to relay the alignment to you.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 am

Okay, thanks.
I think its the timing marks laid out across the face of the weights. As illustrated in the partstree diagram, I think they go in the same position, so they rotate together. Since the gears are the same part, they would rotate at the same rate. And, if both assembled in say the 9 o'clock position, they would never contact.
Anyway, your assistance is sincerely appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 am

I don't know anything specific about this model mower either. However, from looking at the diagram, I suggest you make sure the collision isn't due to bad bearings letting the weights run out of proper alignment. Parts 2, 3 amd maybe 4 should be checked out before you assemble it.

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm

We checked all the bearings. In fact, I don't think the bearings would allow enough movement to get the cross over we saw on the two counter weights, even if all the bearings failed to the extreme, simultaneously. However, the two gears intermesh, so I am unable to explain how the mower ran 15 minutes, and suddenly decided to allow a collision. I would think the out of time situation would have made itself known from the moment we engaged the PTO, if it were that way.
The two gears are nylon, or some other space age plastic, so maybe the frozen up pivot caused heat to develop in those gears. Being plastic they may be the shear pin of the transmission, designed to let go before anything bad happens. Or as in my case, before anything really bad happens.
My big question is where to obtain replacements. All this discussion is really moot if I cannot replace what is damaged, and put it back in service.
Thanks for your time.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Okay, see if this makes sense and let me know if you need more information. You are standing on the right side of the tractor looking back towards the mower/blade. If the pittman arm is extended all the to the left (bearing will be left of center of the disc that it attaches to), the "flat" sides of the counterweights are both vertical. However, when I rotate mine, there is one spot where the two counterweights come very close to touching. There is probably only 1/64th of an inch space between them. Messick's parts diagram does show that some parts are still available. You may want to post the part #'s of what you think you need, or you could call Messick's or Carter and Gruenwald (forum sponsor at the bottom of the page). If you call C &G, ask for Ken Updike. They have great service, I just have a very hard time finding anything on their website.

Bob

Edit: Here's the link to Messick's, you may have to click on E-13 222 Flywheels and ... http://www.messicks.com/cas/1066.aspx
-Albert Einstein

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes sir, I understand what you mean. That is as I surmised, the weights are timed by the gear(s), and even though its only a 64th of an inch, as long as it stays at least something of an inch, its all good.
I checked the Messicks link you provided. I was underwhelmed with their website's timeliness when I was fixing the previously mentioned tiller; I reckon somewhere "Call" means we can't get the parts, and want to tell you in person. However, we'll see how this attempt goes. I was able to locate the two gears, and I ordered the 12 bolts needed to retain them as well, just to say thanks for stocking old pieces parts for old coggers like me.
I'll look into the other sources as well.
Either way, I appreciate your time, thanks for looking into your pile of parts.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 am

Put the part numbers into a Google search and see what happens. There are several obsolete parts networks and you could get a hit.

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 am

Well I reckon I will need to try that, since once again, Messicks lists the parts, I order them, only to find out they really didn't mean they were able to supply them. Geez, anything more complicated than a bolt or a washer, I reckon I am on my own for. Yes, I understand these are old, obsolete, discontinued machines. I also understand how quickly computers work, and how effectively one's available inventory can be managed through them.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:04 am

In defense of Messick's, they do subscribe to some obsolete parts warehouse services and they don't show up in Case/IH inventory. "Call" usually means they have a chance of finding parts somewhere outside of the regular channels. The parts you need are around somewhere, just waiting to be found!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”