This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 tranny trouble

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: 184 tranny trouble

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Possibly. Loose shifter fork set screws are not a good thing and they need to be tightened. As for the torque specs .. the GSS-1411 simple states : Lock the forks in place with the set screws and tighten securely. I used the GSS-1411 simply because the I&T IH-38 does not discuss installation on page 12

When comparing this figure of the shifter forks and set screws it is identical to the pages in the GSS-1411. So I would have to extrapolate that the tightening directions would be identical as well.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Crane Mt LoBoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03229

Postby Crane Mt LoBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks, I'll see to re-assembling my tractor and test driving it on my hilly lawn. Maybe I can finish mowing now.
Thanks for your time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am

No problem. That is what we are here for. Post pics of your Cub when you get done mowing. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SpedHd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 25405

Postby SpedHd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Seems as though the problem has been solved. After breaking and replacing a shifting fork and learning about how to find the little poppet balls down in the tranny (thanks Bob @Hamilton Bob's), I discovered the real reason my 184 wasn't staying in 1st and 3rd. There's a bolt-on bracket on the bottom front of the Tanny case. Apparently mine was previously broken, poorly welded and put back on with one of the bolts left off. The bracket broke at the weld which made the whole casing lopsided and out of alignment causing the 1st and 3rd problem. After putting in a new shifting fork, I rebolted the bracket to the casing and all gears are working wonderfully! Again, it's been a blessing to have been in contact with Hamilton Bob and now it's time to sell this machine because it's not the right machine for what I need to do. Thanks to one and all. ~~SpedHd

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”