This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing with a 154-Snow

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smith
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Plowing with a 154-Snow

Postby Smith » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Anybody plow snow with one of these? Mine came with a Plow and Im contemplating selling it but may wait a season to give it a shot before I do

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plowing with a 154-Snow

Postby twotone » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:41 am

With chains and wheel weights mine plowed real well. It won't break through a 10 foot drift, but it works well on a average snow.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:44 am

It depends a lot on the rear tires that are on your tractor. The big, high flotation tires almost have to be filled with fluid, and have chains installed to get any traction. If you have the narrow, 9.5 x 24 tires, turf or ag type, you will have MUCH better traction. The general concensus is that the narrow turf tires with chains offer the best traction overall, even over the ag tires with chains. The thought is that the ag tires let the chains drop between the ag treads, not really giving you the full use of the chains. Regardless, the narrow tires give you much better weight to footprint, so better traction. Also, the standard Cub rear wheel weights are readily available, and bolt right up to the narrow rims. They will not work on the 13.6 x 16 rims (high flotation tires).

The nice thing about plowing with Cubs or Lo Boys is that they are very solid, heavy machines, so they can take a lot of abuse without hurting them. Pushing snow is a lot of fun with one of these tractors, and something I always look forward to...... well, once it finally starts snowing.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:55 am

I have plowed with a cub for thirty years. 8.3 ag tires, weights and chains. I plowed where I used to live for several years without chains but don't recommend it. Never had a snowstorm I couldn't get thru but the winter of 78 came close. Had to push angled (the tractor not the blade which was left straight) to the left then the right and then back to the left but got thru. As I recall one drift was about four feet. We had to use the back door since the side door was blocked by snow to the eave. In 95 I started using a plowing service since both Jeanne and I had to get out each morning. Nice. Plowing got to be so expensive and with us both retired I went back to plowing last year. Almost fun when you don't have to get out. In the early 70's I made a set of chains out of regular link chain using repair links to fasten the cross links. A threaded closure type link was used to mount the chains. Less cost than buying ready made. They may not pull as much as much but don't damage my asphalt either when a wheel slips. My drive is steep enough that I don't even walk to the mailbox when icy - I have fallen three times the last time on my back and I rattled my gourd (head) a bit. Steep enough that third gear gives the cub all it wants just to drive up it but plowing snow it does well. What else do you have to push snow? A cub sure beats a shovel!! Vern

EDIT: The poster and I are talking two different tractors. My only point is that a lot of snow can be pushed using a small tractor and how I made the chains. I have used an H with chains, weights and a weighted drawbar. Sure it will push more. Vern
Last edited by v w on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 am

The poster is talking about using a Cub 154 numbered series Lo-boy. I think a couple of you are a little confused. :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 am

Barnyard wrote:The poster is talking about using a Cub 154 numbered series Lo-boy. I think a couple of you are a little confused. :D

Not at all. His heading says 154 and is posted in that forum but I will edit. vern

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:54 am

v w wrote:
Barnyard wrote:The poster is talking about using a Cub 154 numbered series Lo-boy. I think a couple of you are a little confused. :D

Not at all. His heading says 154 and is posted in that forum but I will edit. vern

Vern, you're fine but I was confused at first. :oops: I started to post pix of me using my Cub to plow until I realized the forum it is in. It is posted in the correct forum but I always open the new posts so I seldom look at where it is posted. I need to pay better attention. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am

I just traded my 154 for a F Cub but used my 154 all last winter. Turf tires (narrow), chains, wheel weights, and it plows real well.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”