This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 Lo Boy clutch ??

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37857

Re: 184 Lo Boy clutch ??

Postby fordyford » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks for asking, but unfortunately, no. Trying to get my shop finished, and have been dealing with ceiling drywall, paint and hanging lights. Too many things breaking down at the same time.
Thought about just moving the mower to the other tractor for the rest of the season, but THAT would mean taking the FEL off of it. Probably as much work as just fixing the clutch arm on the first one.
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm

The fork had come off the throwout bearing. Got everything dislodged, and reassembled after adjusting the gap on the fork's arms.

Put the fork back in like it came out, but I think that it's backwards!! The parts diagram shows the relieved side toward the pressure plate, versus the uniformly flat side as the PO had it installed. Have to depress the pedal all the way down to release the disc, so somethin's not right. Makes too much noise to suit me.

Any ideas??
Some of my ancestors mighta hanged by their necks, but none of them ever hanged by their tails.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 am

There is a specific direction the fork must be put in. If you put it in backwards, the throwout bearing will not clear the fingers.
I think the shape of your fork may be the issue. The fork was made out of rectangle stock. Time and wear causes the inside front of the fork to round off and eventually, the throwout bearing can rotate and become non functional.

My throwout bearing carrier was also worn. I replaced the throwout carrier and I had to weld and grind the fork back into shape.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 am

The fork has a nice square edge on both sides of both fingers. One side of the fork legs is recessed in about half its length and the other side is straight its full length. The parts diagram shows the recessed side toward the clutch fingers. Just need to confirm that. Thanks!

fordyford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby fordyford » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 am

My apologies for a late response and thank you.

Fork was spread as advised. Adjusted with the BFH, shimmed the bottom pivot so it doesn't slid on the pin laterally so much, and it has been functioning good.

BUT, I still can't get pedal adjusted right. It has to bottom out to barely release clutch, with a 1/2" free play at the top of the pedal travel. PO replaced clutch (???) and arms aren't loose or worn, so I'm stumped.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm

fordyford wrote:I still can't get pedal adjusted right. It has to bottom out to barely release clutch, with a 1/2" free play at the top of the pedal travel.
You need to set up the clutch using the specifications listed in the Service Manual.

Not sure about your reference for the 1/2" free play in pedal travel, But I couldn't find it in the Service Manual.

Specifications say to set the space between the throwout bearing and pressure plate fingers to .090". The specification is .010" space between the clutch brake bracket and clutch brake lining.

OK. Spent 1/2 hour today repairing my clutch brake on 154. One thing I noticed is that the pressure plate opens up, releasing the clutch disk, well before the clutch brake takes effect.

Suggest, removing the tunnel cover. Excellent light source in hand. Engine off. Sit in seat. Slowly depress the clutch pedal. About 1/2 pedal depression, the pressure plate should open up a space between it and the clutch dish.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 am

Eugene, his is a 184. The clutch is engine mounted and there is no clutch brake. If this were a Cub, I would suggest checking the pressure plate finger adjustment, but I don't recall whether the fingers are adjustable on a 184, or not. The clutch on the 184 seldom has any problems, so I've never had to pay attention. It might just be a poor quality rebuilt clutch disc.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 am

There aren't any adjustments on the clutch fingers. Also, there isn't a lot of adjustment room when the clutch plate is new. 1/2 turn of the link and the clutch engages too early and 1/2 turn back and the throwout bearing won't totally disengage. Once you use it for a season or two, it will have more adjustment available. It will be a little tight until it wears in. I would suggest readjusting it after 30-50 hours of use.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Eugene, his is a 184.
Sorry guys. Some times it just doesn't pay to skip my afternoon nap. Nap skipping contributes to my CRS problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 am

fordyford wrote:BUT, I still can't get pedal adjusted right. It has to bottom out to barely release clutch, with a 1/2" free play at the top of the pedal travel.
GSS-1408, page 4-16. "The clutch pedal must maintain a free travel distance of 1-1/8 to 1 1/4."
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”