This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New guy here

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
A/C guy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17350

New guy here

Postby A/C guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm

I live in SE PA with about 5 acres to mow. I have had a 154 for about 15 years now, with the usual maintenance issues. Last fall it began fouling the no. 4 plug with oil (I suspect a broken oil ring as it was rather sudden). I pulled the engine and sent it out for an overhaul. Since everything is apart, I am going over other parts and checking condition and repair/replace as necessary.

I noticed the front axle seems somewhat loose on the pivot pin. I got everything apart and cleaned up. I can see a little wear on the "bottom" of the 1" pivot pin, but it doesn't seem too loose when I put the pin into the axel. There is a little fore & aft play between the axel and the brackets on the frame.

Now the questions: Is it worth trying to tighten things up? Does the axel have replaceable bushings, or is the cast iron just bored to fit the 1" pin?

Is there anything else I should check during this down time? (radiator got a new core, ammeter was replaced, and I will probably replace ball joints in the steering linkage)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New guy here

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
The pivot pin is stationary, and the axle rotates around it. There are replacement bushings in the axle. You can add shims between the axle and the bracket to stop the fore-aft movement.
More things to check would be the steering box. They are bad about collecting water from it running down the shaft. Check the brake pucks on the clutch, once they wear out, you can't adjust the clutch enough to stop the driveshaft from spinning. Other than that, just a general look over and fluids change.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New guy here

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 pm

A/C guy wrote:The questions: Is it worth trying to tighten things up? Does the axle have replaceable bushings, or is the cast iron just bored to fit the 1" pin?
Parts book check shows that the front axle pivot pin hubs are separate parts numbers from the frame. Apparently the pivot hubs and front axle pin can be replaced. As far as cost and availability - unknown.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”