This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

clutch brake buttons.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

clutch brake buttons.

Postby welderskelter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Ebay has clutch brake buttons for 48.99 isnt there something amiss here? I noticed mine were pretty well worn. But before I turn loose of 50 bucks I am going to do some thinking. There has to be some other material that can be used here. I know that wooden boxings work in combine straw walkers for years metal to wood. Now why couldnt a guy whittle out a couple wooden plugs and save 50? Or use a chunk of a disc brake pad. I just hate people that try to hold up other people. Anybody else found anything that works for clutch brake buttons? Harold

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: clutch brake buttons.

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am

These will work for half the price: http://www.hamiltonbobs.com/Clutch-Brak ... 103305.htm

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks but there still needs to be something a lot cheaper. I will keep them in mind tho.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 am

I purchased a new set when I ordered other parts. Kept the used pucks thinking there should be simple replacement or method of repairing them. Think the retail price for two pucks/brake buttons is way out of line for something that contains only a few cents worth of material.

The center is a 1/2" diameter oak dowel encased in some sort of slippery plastic coating. The oak dowel extends 1/4" beyond the plastic coating. Over all length was about 1 1/4".

Thought about using high strength epoxy to glue a piece of oak dowel to the existing/remaining dowel in the puck.

Measured, micrometer, the new pucks/brake buttons. The length of the two new pucks were close but not identical. Bit of use the installed new pucks will be the same length.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Some measurement of clutch brake buttons. And a correction to measurement in previous post. Two worn buttons measured.

Center: .500" diameter of what appears to be oak dowel.
Outside diameter: .650" (-.001 to +.006)
Height of plastic on dowel: .775"
Over all length is approximately: 1.00" Perhaps a smidgen longer (1.025"). Lost or misplaced measurements on new buttons.

I don't see why something such as a piece of brake lining or another piece of dowel could not be cemented to the worn out button dowel.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tomcat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71836
Tractors Owned: 49 cub buttercup

Postby tomcat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:20 pm

what are brake buttons :big embarrased:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:32 pm

tomcat wrote:what are brake buttons?
One of IH engineer's ingenious little devices installed in an apparatus to stop the flywheel (edit: pressure plate) from turning when you push in the clutch.

Cheapest I've seen a pair of the brake buttons is $22- for items that appear to me should be priced around $4- or $5- a pair.

The strength of the brake button is in the wooden dowel. Plastic coating is just to take up space between the dowel and the metal bracket. I'm going to attempt to put heat shrink, one layer at a time, on an oak dowel to see if I can get a diameter close to the original.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 am

Is it possible to drill or otherwise remove the wood from the original plastic part and insert a new dowel?

My 154 came with a couple pieces of what appeared to be common brake lining material. They were sized for a perfect fit in place of the originals. I have no idea where they came from.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Is it possible to drill or otherwise remove the wood from the original plastic part and insert a new dowel?
That was one of my thoughts. Haven't tried it yet.

Currently looking for nylon or plastic sleeves in the correct OD, ID. Need to visit the local well stocked hardware store with micrometer and see what they have.

Another thought is to visit the industrial supply and pick up a short length, foot or so, of nylon or plastic rod. Turn on a wood or metal lathe to OD. and then drill to dowel size.
I have an excuse. CRS.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I havent had mine out yet but it looks as if you could just make the oak bottons big enough so you wouldnt need the plastic part and when they are put in adjust them up enough that they couldnt fall out even if they got loose. Harold

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Is it possible to drill or otherwise remove the wood from the original plastic part and insert a new dowel?
I put a well used brake button in the vise with the intention of drilling it out. About 2 revolutions of the drill bit and the remainder of the oak dowel, about 1/16" thick, popped out. Dowel only had one small drop of adhesive on one edge holding it in place.

The oak dowel only extends about 3/16" into the plastic. Beneath the dowel is hollow with a centered round plastic piece extending from the bottom of the cavity to the level of the end of the dowel. Inside the plastic is a shoulder - along with the round plastic piece keeps the dowel from pushing back into the plastic.

Description may be unclear. Once the remainder of the dowel pops out, the repair will be obvious. Easy and inexpensive repair.

Eugene wrote:Some measurement of clutch brake buttons. And a correction to measurement in previous post. Two worn buttons measured.

Center: .500" diameter of what appears to be oak dowel.
Outside diameter: .650" (-.001 to +.006)
Height of plastic on dowel: .775"
Over all length is approximately: 1.00" Perhaps a smidgen longer (1.025"). Lost or misplaced measurements on new buttons.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 am

Mine dont even hit on anything,--they may be gone altogether!---Never saw need for them anyway! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

wagonmaster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14830
Tractors Owned: 108
1969 154
1971 154

Postby wagonmaster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Seems like I remember reading in a previous post way back, somebody suggested using copper rod for clutch buttons.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I never looked all that close at the clutch brake pads but do not remember them being made from a wood dowel, seems like they were plastic with a pad on the front.

Eitherway, I replaced two 154's pads with a copper rod turned to the correct diameter. Seems to work well.

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderskelter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks guys, Got some good ideas on here. Thats what I wanted. I am thinking the copper shaft will work well. Thanks Harold

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”