This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

first time owner Cub 154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
colep410
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30746

first time owner Cub 154

Postby colep410 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Just picked up my first Cub. I have almost 3 acres to mow, so I wanted a wide deck, plus something with a little more class than a Murray. It runs good, but my best guess is that its a former city/county mower judging by it being solid yellow with black stripes showing on the front bumper, plus a little first class butchery. No white paint to be found anywhere along the hood, dash, or wheels. I believe it also had a cab at one point.

sorry about the pics. The previous owner sent them to me on Facebook, and i couldn't copy them.

In its new home.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: first time owner Cub 154

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your Cub. Municipal machines were frequently sold as yellow right from the factory. You came to the right place for care and feeding advice! See the manuals sections above for some scans of "numbered" series LoBoy tractor manuals.

colep410
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby colep410 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks. It came with the service manual, which is great. I've just downloaded the owners manual and began reading through it. The tractor runs and cuts good so far but had one major issue that was obvious off the bat. At some point in its life, the pivot pin for the front axle was lost/discarded along with the bushings. I guess the easiest replacement was a 1/2" bolt and a couple washers. The play in the steering was terrible as can be imagined and when turning, the front wheel would actually hit the wheel on the deck. I removed the axle today. The hole in the cast axle was well worn and the holes in the cross member had been reamed and washers tack welded in the holes. I removed all the add ons and found bushings at tractor supply that were a perfect fit for the modified crossmember and used a 1 inch bolt to replace the pin. The axle pivots up and down as it should and hope fully wont try to steer itself under the deck for a few more years. Trying it out will have to wait though, as one of the tie rod ends broke when taking it apart.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Hamilton Bob, one of our sponsors below, specializes in these tractors if you need parts. I am not knowledgeable on the things that are different from a standard Cub, like the clutch and PTO, but many here are. Sounds like you are well on the learning curve. :D

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your FIRST Cub!

It sounds like you are jumping right in, there is lots of useful information in the owners manual, good choice in reading it first. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on here, so you are in good hands!

Best of luck,
David

colep410
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby colep410 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Im pretty sure the 154 will be the learning project. A standard cub im sure will follow one day.

I've got the axle back in and was going to begin adjusting the clutch brake and the throw out bearing. the tractor shifts fine with out grinding, but it takes a bit for the flywheel to stop unless the PTO is on. None of the images in the service manual looked quite right. thats when i noticed that someone has removed the entire clutch brake assembly. looks like ill be needing the tie rod that broke plus the brake retainer, pucks, the brake link and the linkage bolt. Like i say, this is the learning project.

Any one know if the drive shaft and clutch has to be removed to get to the two bolts that hold the puck retainer in place?

Thanks
Cole

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:58 pm

colep410 wrote:None of the images in the service manual looked quite right.
Agree that the service and parts manual may not represent your tractor's features. So far I have found that the part numbers for needed parts are good. Also found out that some of the features on my 154 are not represented in the manuals.

colep410 wrote:Any one know if the drive shaft and clutch has to be removed to get to the two bolts that hold the puck retainer in place?
Shouldn't have to, simply remove the two bolts holding the clutch brake assembly to the transmission or creeper gear.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 pm

HEY!!! I will trade ya rear tires!---My giddy fat ones for your NICE skinny ones!!! LOL! thanks; sonny

colep410
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby colep410 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:21 pm

after mowing today, I'm convinced i need the wide ones. Pretty sure my yard would almost qualify as a wetland.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”