This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Which one to pick?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jimthetravler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65781

Which one to pick?

Postby jimthetravler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 pm

hello i dont even have 1 yet but i will soon buy 4 [almost] identical small tractors.
I have 4 kids so maybe 1 for grampa also.
i know this sounds kind of ambitious but i think i have the time and money i also have 2 sons for strength and 2 daughters for everything else.
So i am open to suggestions.
These items are important to me.
1availibility of good project base tractors and parts.
Im in sw missouri.
I love the look of the older models.
i like 12 volt
I need the road speed of the newer models on at least one.[for my daily transport over the farm and to the ice cream shop :D ]
Mowing will be a big part of their life but i will want to plow and till.
I wil alsol be building a tow behind device that will use swinging chains to smash till and root hog the rocky earth.[im not selling this one its mine :evil: ]
So since we be doing a LOT of rebuilding which model? what years?
all opinions are appreciated, thank you

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Which one to pick?

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 pm

This post has been here for a while. Thinking, I would list what I want each tractor to do - tasks to perform. Then look around local area to see what tractor(s) and equipment was readily available that would meet my needs.

My thinking, I would purchase a smaller tractor for mower and trailer work. Larger tractor, with 3-point, standard pto and hydraulics for heavier work.

Farmall Cubs are nice small tractors, but limited in usage. For one thing, road speed is just under 7 mph, around 10 HP on draw bar, and weighing in between 1500 and 2000 lbs.

Just me. I have 5 tractors, 2 skid steers, and 36 acres. I use the Cubs (2 each) for mower and trailer work. Larger tractors to skid logs, brush hog, grader, and back hoe work. Reality, the Cubs are for light work, most of the heavy dirty work is done with the skid steers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:22 am

I read this last night and didn't reply because as Eugene stated you really have not given much to go on. Folks on here are going to tell you to get 4 Cubs or 4 Lo-Boys, or even 4 Cub Cadets, as we can get them to do just about anything that a typical homeowner / land owner will want to do, outside of large acre farming.

Really, having 4 Cubs/Lo Boys really does make a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Nearly every part on the tractors is interchangable, so maintenance would be a piece of cake. All of them can be worked on with standard tools, nothing fancy, and parts are readily available. We have a HUGE, AWESOME, Most AMAZING support group here that you could EVER imagine, and we can help you through ANYTHING with these tractors!!!!! So, on with my List..

Personally, If I was going to get 4 or 5 nearly identical tractors, and wanted them to be nearly identical, I think I'd go for the late 1960s and early 1970s Cubs and Lo Boys. I'd get the lo-boys setup for mowing because that was their real intent. Designed lower to the ground to be able to clear under trees but still big enough to handle a 60-inch mower deck. Here is a picture of a 1965 Lo Boy that I restored a few years ago:

The reason I'd go with these later 1960s tractors is that they do have just a little more horsepower than the earlier Cubs, and honestly, that's about it. Also, since you want 4 nearly identical machines, all of the later tractors are what we call the "square nose Cubs" where the hood is straight in the front instead of rounded over into the grill like the earlier Cubs.

You could then follow up with a pair of standard Cubs, again from 1965 through 1979. Here is a 1966 that I restored a few years ago:

As you can see, nearly identical to the 1965 Lo-boy posted above. However, the reason I'd get a couple of standard Cubs, is for Ag work, grading and plowing. The lo-boys are great mowing machines, and they will plow, however, their limited ground clearance is a limitation. Also, since you are going for 4 or 5 tractors, you might as well mix it up a bit. Personally, If you were also going to really use these machines, I would try to hold out for standard Cubs with a Fast Hitch. This way you can easily swap implements between the two standard Cubs. This is a HUGE benefit.

Finally, I would definitely have a late model Cub in my lineup, and would be my personal machine. Below is a picture of a 1977 that I owned and is still my favorite of all the Cubs I've ever had.

As you can see, the 1970s cubs have the exact same sheet metal as the late 1960s Cubs shown above, just with a different hood decal. One interesting thing about these is that they really do seem to have the most horsepower of all the Cubs, and the Lo-Boy tracotrs of the time were rated at 18-hp, so it stands to reason that the Cubs had the same improvements to the engine as the Lo-boys. There's no real documentation either way. However, having owned all of these and worked them all, I can tell you that my 1977 would out perform any of them! Although mine shown above is an all red colored tractor, the standard color was yellow/white like the one shown here:

So, if you really wanted them nearly all identical, you could do them all in yellow/white.

There you have it. Those would be my picks.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 am

This is such a personal decision for you, I can't really speak into your life for your needs.

You mentioned a farm, so I doubt that four compact tractors will do every task a farm needs.
A farm typically needs a larger tractor for ground engagement. It is best if this tractor has a 3-point hitch and a standard PTO. The size of your farm dictates the size of this tractor. The cubs were designed for a 40 acre and smaller farm.

For mowing tasks, a loboy with a 60" mower (or a cub cadet) is great for the lawn.
If brush hogging, or mowing hay, a loboy is probably not what you want. If mowing includes this, then use a regular farmall cub.

I would think every farm would also need something with a loader. Should be big enough to handle manure.

Last but not least, get a pretty tractor to goto the ice cream store! :{_}:
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

jimthetravler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jimthetravler » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 am

Thank you very much for the knowledge so far.
Please do not stop.
More info on me and my needs.
We have a good massy that will move a round bale or pull a large brush hog. We hate round bales but will make some for cows & goats.
The horses will get the best square bales we can make or buy they have earned it.
I think the icecream store tractor [cub 184 with creeper and 3 point ?] will be mine it will have a belly mower with swiveling castor wheels and an [new] off set brush hog with independant power for mowing the flat open parts.
With a small 4 wheel farm wagon.[Hey the kids want ice cream to]
So i will invest some in my sons massy and then get 3 of the 1970ish cubs 1 a high farm cropper for the other son and 2 low boys for the girls.
Now dont stop with the advice I reserve the right not to take it but i sure enjoy hearing and evaluating.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Check your area for Cubs and numbered Cubs. Some locals Cubs are non existent. Reason I mentioned that is that Allis Chalmers and Ford were the major tractor dealerships in this area 50 years ago. Therefore, Allis and Ford tractors and equipment are readily available here.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jimthetravler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jimthetravler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 am

Eugene wrote:Check your area for Cubs and numbered Cubs. Some locals Cubs are non existent. Reason I mentioned that is that Allis Chalmers and Ford were the major tractor dealerships in this area 50 years ago. Therefore, Allis and Ford tractors and equipment are readily available here.

Very good point I dont see them often so if I and my family are going to get into cubs we might want to maintain a flat bed and a parts barn
for that purpose. :{_}:
And a medium sized sandblast cabinet. :{_}:
air compressor,air tools :{_}: large book shelf :{_}:
Im begining to think I have found the perfect useful hobby :{_}: :{_}:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Jim:

I have been medically retired for a number of years now ... and for the last dozen years my Cubs have kept me not only amused but busy and useful. I have learned so much in that time that will keep me interested and occupied (hobbies can be time consuming) and out of trouble which will definitely keep me out of the doghouse. This is a good thing :lol:

I don't have a lot of information on the Numbered Cubs, but I do have the Owner's Manuals for all 3 versions which would make good background reading for you as you figure out what you want/need. As Eugene has said, Cubs cannot do everything, although I have yet to find a limit on my 25 acre property that exceeded my Cubs ability. Of course there are some obvious jobs that I just would not attempt but outside of that my Cubs do everything that I want/need.

The Numbered Series are truly estate tractors - primary use is mowing. They are good to till as well with an IH-15 Tiller or something close, and that is where your speed reducer/creeper gear will be really useful. Plowing snow they seem to do well with also. There are some things that just are not suited for the Numbered Series .. but hey, don't let that stop you :wink:

Here is the link to the Numbered Series Owner's Manuals - and of course the following links may be of use to you as well.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jimthetravler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jimthetravler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:13 pm

thank you for the manuals.
other than not stradeling tall plants why does a loboy fail on the farm?

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

jimthetravler wrote:... other than not stradeling tall plants why does a loboy fail on the farm?

In my mind a couple of words are the primary reason, "ground clearance."

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:42 pm

I use the tallest tractor I own, not the most economical to operate, for spraying fence lines and spot spraying thistles and muti-floral rose.

Heck, this year the grass is as tall as the hood on my 154 Cub Low-boy. Even with creeper gear, takes two passes to make a decent looking cut.

Some times you just need a taller, bigger, tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah... Image to what Bill and Eugene said :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Slickwilly1976
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30740
Tractors Owned: Cub lo boy 185
Cub cadet model 70
Gravely Z52
kubota L1500DT

Postby Slickwilly1976 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:42 pm

I have several mowers including a gravely z252 zero turn. My 185 leaves a lot better looking yard than it does.
If it wasn't such a long drive for you to Ga. There's a guy not to far from me that has about approx. 50 different farmalls for sale and a few lo-boys. It would be nice if you could see them All together and you could try them out to see what would work best for you. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there for parts. I want to try them all out. :D
1ST corinthians 1:18

jimthetravler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jimthetravler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Slickwilly1976 wrote:I have several mowers including a gravely z252 zero turn. My 185 leaves a lot better looking yard than it does.
If it wasn't such a long drive for you to Ga. There's a guy not to far from me that has about approx. 50 different farmalls for sale and a few lo-boys. It would be nice if you could see them All together and you could try them out to see what would work best for you. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there for parts. I want to try them all out. :D

:||): :oops:
How many of these operate ?
Does he rebuild them or part out only?
Name ?
Phone number?
Is this place rare or are there more closer to South West missouri?
As far as ground clearance I think it will be rare to need this feature but we will have big tractors the Massy should handle what we need and we use it often.
And we really do need a reason to use the minimo at least twice a year.
An odd thing has happened there has been a death in the family and all the family has decided to organise a colective around the land and older family members.[ I guess thats me] my kids are both ready to come home to the land of their childhood and have had me over recently to show them how to can food.
Horse collers and tugs are being used again.
The big horses are begining to shine physically and mentally again.
The best ground clearance rough terrain device we have ever had is a percheron and a 2 wheel cart with iron wheels chest high.
Might be nice to throw a spray rig in and have the grand kids "drive'' [they obey my voice commands over any whip].

And I have found another question I see 185 has an alternator while 184 has a starter/generator any opinions on which lasts longer in general service?
Does the starter/generator have less shock to components?
Does it still start a well tuned engine properly?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:52 pm

jimthetravler wrote:And I have found another question I see 185 has an alternator while 184 has a starter/generator any opinions on which lasts longer in general service? Does the starter/generator have less shock to components? Does it still start a well tuned engine properly?
Starter/generator will easily start a well tuned tractor.

The alternator (under $50-) will be much cheaper to replace than the starter/generator (SG) ($250- give or take). You can normally repair the S/G yourself - not that expensive. The alternator last much longer in service without need of repair or replacement. Also the alternator puts out a lot more amps than the S/G.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”