This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Back and forth movement in hubs

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GreaseNipple
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17261
Tractors Owned: 2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, FEL and backhoe

1974 154 Cub Lo-Boy

2007 New Holland L170 Skid Steer

Back and forth movement in hubs

Postby GreaseNipple » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Hello,
I am a new 154 Cub Lo-Boy owner, I think a 1974. When I bought it, it needed one new front tire and the other wasn't the best ....20x8.00x10...so I just bought 2 new ones. When I took the old tires off, I noticed that the hubs would move back and forth on the spindle about 1/16". The bolt that held the big washer on to the end of the spindle was as tight as it could get. I couldn't see how the play could be tightened up !!!! Is this normal to have that much play ? The tire is very, very close to the upright part closest to the wheel. With the right sideways load, I think the tire could maybe rub on the upright part. Just going down the road, it is close, but not rubbing. Can any one enlighten me on how that all works??? I couldn't find any info in the original manual that I got with the tractor.Thanks !!!!!

GreaseNipple

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Back and forth movement in hubs

Postby randallc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas.
Lots of guys on here know the numbered series of lo-Boys, but I'm not one of them. Just thinking that 1/16 of an inch is not that much, but also most wheel bearing nuts are not tighten to the max on the bearings. Somebody that know will answer.
Spend some quality time on the forum getting to know the information contained on here. Several folks have built a wonderfully fact filled web of information and the share information freely.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:16 am

My 184 has some movement side to side with the front tires.
The tires don't get very close to the axle though. This may depend on what tires and rims you have. I have turf tires.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 am

You can play with different thickness washers to take up some of that slop, but there's only so much you can do. Really, 1/16" is not bad. Also, make sure to pack the wheel bearings good while you have the wheels off. Some of that 1/16" will go away with greasing everything.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 am

Check the condition of the hub, the lip where the bearing inserts. And the bearings. The hub shouldn't be sliding back and forth on the spindle.

New bearings. Part number: B1S B6534 manufactured by LUTCO, available from auto parts store. Cub Cadet part number: 941-3002
I have an excuse. CRS.

GreaseNipple
10+ Years
10+ Years

1974 154 Cub Lo-Boy

Postby GreaseNipple » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Hey Eugene,
You are the only one so far that has said that the hubs should not move in and out on the spindle. I don't think so either, however, I don't understand how it was meant to work. Let's use a car hub or trailer hub for example......they both have a nut that is turned in to get the right amount of play and then you stick a cotter pin in to keep it there. But with the Cub Lo-boy spindle, you just have a bolt that is threaded into the end of the spindle.....how is there any adjustment there ????????? The bolt stops when it runs out of threads and that's it !!!!!! My bolts stop and are as tight as possible and I still get a little in and out movement of the hub on the spindle !!!!! I really want to understand how it is meant to work !!!!!!

GreasNipple

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Meant to work as you described for trailers or cars. The washer is meant to snug up the bearing in the race so that they can not - do not rotate on the spindle.

Drive the bearings out of the hub. Clean up and inspect.

If bearings still good - hard ware store - large washer section. Select a washer to match the bearing diameter. You may have to drill out the washer to match your spindle diameter.

I replace the bearings on my 154. That took care of the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

GreaseNipple
10+ Years
10+ Years

1974 154 Cub Lo-Boy

Postby GreaseNipple » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello,
I thought I would give everybody who replied to my post an update. Today I made aluminum washers and fixed the movement of my hubs. I used aluminum that was .024 thick , used a multi-spur bit for the inside 1" hole and a hole saw to cut the 1 1/2" outside diameter. I put them over the spindle at the rear of the hub. This took all the slop and in-out movement of the hubs away and the wheels still spun freely with the spindle bolt tightened firmly. Since the washers are aluminum and not steel, I'm not sure if they will wear out quickly or not, but it's better than it was yesterday !!!!! I used to be a high school wood and metal shop teacher. If I was still working, I could have used the surface grinder and surfaced a steel washer down to .024 thick. I think I like being retired better than having the use of all the machinery. If the aluminum ones wear out in 6 months, at least I know how to quickly make 2 more !!!!!!! Thanks for all the responses !!!!

GreaseNipple

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 am

GreaseNipple wrote:If the aluminum ones wear out in 6 months, at least I know how to quickly make 2 more

Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you resolved your issue for the time being and hopefully for good. I never cared for the ball bearing set up on the numbered Cubs or Cub Cadets. Once they "loosen up" as you described the bearings tend to wear out rather quickly. I would check the condition of the bearings and the hubs as Eugene suggested. If the bearings are good (not likely) I would then make sure the bearings fit snugly in the hubs. If the hubs are worn the bearings won't stay seated the assembly is destined to fail. Once the hubs are worn the tendency is for the bearings to wear more and more inside the hub and the whole thing begins to wobble and ruin the hub. I've seen it happen to a number of tractors with the ball bearing set up. These are not the same setup as a cup and cone assembly and ball bearings like these don't do well with pre-load.
GreaseNipple wrote:The tire is very, very close to the upright part closest to the wheel. With the right sideways load, I think the tire could maybe rub on the upright part

It sounds like the hubs may already be worn.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”