This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Model 3160 deck center spindle replacement

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Model 3160 deck center spindle replacement

Postby Keith Seymore » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:19 am

Gentlemen -

My center spindle has a lot of lateral and up/down motion indicating to me it needs to be either rebuilt or replaced.

I've got the mower deck out from under the tractor but it is not obvious to me how the center pulley (the three tiered job) is removed from the top of the spindle.

Some kind of puller, attached to the small plate? Attach to the pulley itself? My harmonic balancer puller looks like it would be perfect for the job - if I could find it.

Appreciate any input here; thanks in advance -

K

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

welderskelter
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Model 3160 deck center spindle replacement

Postby welderskelter » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Pics are needed. Mine has 3 boltheads on top that have to be removed then put back in different holes to push off the pulley then pull pff hub.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm

On the 3260 mower deck, I'm assuming the 3160 has similiar spindles, unscrew the bolt head immediately below the zerk. The spindle will probably fall out the bottom of the deck and out of the pulley.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith Seymore » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:58 am

welderskelter wrote:Pics are needed. Mine has 3 boltheads on top that have to be removed then put back in different holes to push off the pulley then pull pff hub.

Agree. I took some pics with my cell phone but apparently they didn't come through. I'll try and get some posted tonight.

But - mine also has the three bolts up on top so it sounds similar.

K

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 am

Assuming this is similar to the C-3 spindle, that is a quick disconnect bushing. They are cast iron and break easily. You are supposed to take out those 1/4-20 screws and shift them over to the next set of holes to push the sheave apart. Look for a set screw too that locks down on the woodruff key, too. Be patient and careful. The center one you can buy from a power transmission supplier, like Mcmaster. The outer pulleys with the single pulley are special and now discontinued. This arrangement allows the height of the pulley to be adjustable on the shaft. The manual for the deck should have specific heights for the pulley to align the belts when setting up the deck. This link will take you to the bushing page at mcmaster and they should have instructions that will help visualize what needs to be done. Again, they are easy to break but can be re-used is all the do is split in half. If you try to pry them apart, they will be destroyed. http://www.mcmaster.com/#quick-disconnect-bushings/=ne1zqf

Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith Seymore » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Figured it out ;)

Credit for the breakthough moment goes to welderskelter; when he said to insert the bolts back into the blind threaded holes it occured to me that the bolts might "jack" the two pieces apart.

Doing so pushed the pulley off the small plate.

I was then able to remove the plate from the end of the spindle and drop the unit out the bottom of the deck.

It also looks like there is a small bolt, as mentioned by Eugene.

In other news, it appears the big jam nut was completely backed off. I might be able to retighten that, pack it with grease and re-use it without having to replace it. I will look into this in the morning.

Thanks guys!

K

Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith Seymore » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:00 pm

bob in CT wrote:Assuming this is similar to the C-3 spindle, that is a quick disconnect bushing. They are cast iron and break easily. You are supposed to take out those 1/4-20 screws and shift them over to the next set of holes to push the sheave apart. Look for a set screw too that locks down on the woodruff key, too. Be patient and careful. The center one you can buy from a power transmission supplier, like Mcmaster. The outer pulleys with the single pulley are special and now discontinued. This arrangement allows the height of the pulley to be adjustable on the shaft. The manual for the deck should have specific heights for the pulley to align the belts when setting up the deck. This link will take you to the bushing page at mcmaster and they should have instructions that will help visualize what needs to be done. Again, they are easy to break but can be re-used is all the do is split in half. If you try to pry them apart, they will be destroyed. http://www.mcmaster.com/#quick-disconnect-bushings/=ne1zqf

Bob - thanks for the reply and the link; you are absolutely correct.

You mention the manual for the deck - I spent quite a bit of time yesterday checking the links and looking for one without success.

I have the parts manual, but do you (or anybody else) have a "user" manual for the 3160 deck?

Thanks again, and thanks in advance -

K

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:Image

It also looks like there is a small bolt, as mentioned by Eugene.
Actually not the one I intended. However, I have found one spindle on an IH rotary mower that utilized a similiar nut for securing the spindle and pulley. The other two spindles utilized the same set up as the Cub Cadets, Bolt through the center of the spindle and washers to tighten the pulley and hold the spindle in place.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:05 am

That star washer should have an internal tooth that fits into the key slot on the shaft. That, with the outer tabs bent up on the flats keeps that nut secure. I sheared one off when I thought I had all the little tabs folded back. There is no way to hold the bearing pre-load adjustment without it. The only place I could find one of those washers was IH and they cost about $6!

There is a manual in the Numbered Lo-Boy section http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Number%20Series%20Cubs/Attachments/International%203-spindle%20Rotary%20Mowers%20for%20154%20Lo-Boy%201-69.pdf, but it does not seem to have the same requirements as the Danco C-3 mower that I am familiar with. http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/download.php?fname=./files/Cub%20Attachments/Mowers/C-3%2010-27-67-23A%20OCR.pdf

You are not supposed to use any grease or anti-seize on the shaft when assembling a Q-D bushing.

Keith Seymore
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith Seymore » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks Bob. I'll be on vacation for a week (out of town) and will review these documents while I am gone.

K

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Interestingly I ordered some of these star washers through Woods via my local Kubota/Woods dealer.
Photo012.jpg
Photo012.jpg (217.15 KiB) Viewed 2388 times

I don't know if they screwed up or what but I got five of them (I ordered what I thought was one piece but I got one bag of five) for about $6. Woods part number 62840 I believe.
Photo014.jpg
Photo014.jpg (187.25 KiB) Viewed 2388 times

Photo015.jpg
Photo015.jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 2388 times

Woods made some decks for Kubota years ago and used this star washer setup as opposed to Woods usual roll pin through the shaft scenario. The star washer set up is much easier to work on, but the star washer will let go as the preload goes away (bearings wear out) and spindle shafts are very expensive if you should need to replace one. The one I was dealing with had a bent spindle shaft which caused the bearing alignment to be off and wore the bearings out prematurely thus wearing away the inside flange of the washer. Eventually (sooner rather than later) the nut would back off and then the shaft was basically flopping around inside the spindle housing. If I remember correctly the ID of the washer is about 7/8" to fit the threaded part of the shaft, the shaft OD is 3/4" where it goes into the pulley hub. Hope that helps you some.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

spgeid
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16218

Postby spgeid » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am

I had to repair two on my 3160. The first spindle I rebuilt with new bearings. The second one, I was able to find a whole new old stock pod on ebay for less than it cost to rebuild the first one. You might want to check and see if there are anymore for sale there.
Steve
1962 Cub Lo-boy restored w/60 woods deck and snow plow
1972 Standard Cub Original w/fast hitch w/snowplow
1975 Cub 185
1969 Cub 154 w/60" deck and snow plow
Fast hitch plow
42FH woods mower

Toolman185
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44024
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Super A
1975 loboy 185

Postby Toolman185 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 pm

The small plate is called a QDC bushing. It is a keyed, split taper collet. If you remove the three bolts from the rim and thread them into the adjacent holes in the rim it will pop the taper and release the pressure. A bit of good penetrating oil like PB nut blaster helps alot. Theses are very high quality pulleys and are used on industrial equipment. You can find information on a website for Martin (google Martin drive components and you will find it).

Toolman185

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”