This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Low boy 185 will not start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mtviert@gmail.com
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43571

Low boy 185 will not start

Postby mtviert@gmail.com » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:40 pm

I have a low boy 185, it cranks like it want to start
But the belt is not turning. If I give the belt a little nudge it will try to spin but just won't spin it enough to start. I had a friend pull me with his truck yo pull start it and it fired right up. Oh just won't start when I turn the key to start it.
Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Low boy 185 will not start

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Welcome. Try a new starter/generator belt and adjusting it.

Depending on which year your 185 was built it may have two start safety switches, one for the PTO and a 2nd on the clutch. Those are the two switches I would check for the no start problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 am

Is your battery up to snuff? Might want to have it tested.
Also, verify that the starter-generator power and ground connections are clean and making good contact.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

mtviert@gmail.com
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43571

Postby mtviert@gmail.com » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:55 am

I tightened the starter/ generator belt, fired right up. Thanks for the tip, saved me a trip to the mechanic.
Was wondering where I might get a pully for the mower deck. It's the belly mower that goes with the tractor?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:11 am

mtviert@gmail.com wrote:Was wondering where I might get a pully for the mower deck. It's the belly mower that goes with the tractor?
There are several brands and sizes of mowers mounted on numbered Cub Low-Boys. Identifying the mower will determine the parts source.

If it's an IH mower, check the upper left side of the deck for an ID tag. Tag is frequently missing.

Search the Manuals section, top of page, has manuals of numerous mowers. Or post photos of the mower, we should be able to nail down the make and model.

Another thought, if the pulley is missing there are more than likely other problems with the mower.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”