This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 154 not starting

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub 154 not starting

Postby bookman51 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:41 pm

I had not ran my Cub 154 for awhile so I started it this evening. The carb seemed a little gummed up because it would only run with the choke full open. I hoped that running it awhile with fresh gas would get it going. Then it died and when I tried to restart it ...NOTHING. That is, it did not even try to turn over the engine. The battery is good. Also, I tried the lights and no lights. I ran out of time to start checking things out, but my first guess is loose starter wire. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Cub 154 not starting

Postby SONNY » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Make sure your start/gen. drive belt is tight! they seem to need to be awfully tight , otherwise the pulley turns but motor dont!---I noticed this after they get hot, motor is harder to turn when warm/hot!
check battery ends for good connection and clean if needed!
Your carb inlet needle could also be stuck shut!( I am having this problem on the sickly bar tractor, been sitting 10 years,---started right up wouldnt keep running, had a bunch of bad gas in the tank, also had a plugged sediment inlet along with worn carb. inlet needle! thanks; sonny

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Check the battery connections, then check the jet on the carb. Might want to run a bit of Seafoam in the gas as well.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 pm

When I said nothing happens when I turn the key...nothing happens. There is no click or whir or anything. Now I suppose it could be a bad battery connection, but I did have it started and running for a few minutes.

I do regularly put Stabil in my gas, and I had put a small bottleof carb treatment in the gas, but I may well need to take the carb off and soak it a bit in carb cleaner. A needle or jet being stuck would explain why I need to choke it. A bad battery connect would explain why "nothing" when I try to start it. A bit of the puzzler is why it would have started earlier and "nothing" after it died, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Thanks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 am

bookman51 wrote:when I tried to restart it ...NOTHING. I tried the lights and no lights.
Remove battery cables, clean battery posts and battery cable clamps. Charge the battery.

If symptoms persist, have battery checked at auto parts store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Battery ends lose contact without warning!---may have been part of the reason it died too,--no juice to dist! thanks; sonny

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Yep, I just needed to clean the battery terminals and it started right up. :{_}: Never had one do that quite that way. That is, lose connection right after I had started it once. It still runs a little rough. I got some Seaform. I will see how it runs tomorrow (I had earlier put in some gas treatment...do not recall the brand). If it runs rough tomorrow, I will put in the Seaform.

Thanks for the help. :thanx:

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”