This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering radius

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
buggyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65032

Steering radius

Postby buggyman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 pm

I am new to LoBoy tractors and have a 185 as of a couple weeks ago. I noted immediately that the tractor has a fairly short turning radius to the right but probably twice as wide to the left. Are they all like this or is something out of adjustment on mine?
My tractor is in pretty good shape in that it looks good and seems to be in mechanically very good but for the steering mentioned and what I guess is typical blow by. I have bronchitis so can't take the blow by smoke. I guess I will tear it down and see if rings and/or valve work will cure it. If not sadly it will have to go in spite of my liking it a lot. I am even thinking of putting a pipe with an elbow on the filler tube and run it down to the deck. That may keep me from smelling it so much...... gota do something.
Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Steering radius

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Welcome to the board!

For the steering radius, something is out if adjustment. Drive the tractor straight forward a few feet, then stop and kill the engine. Get off and have a look at the pitman arm under the engine, behind the front axle. It should be pointing directly at the axle pivot. It not, one side will turn sharper than the other.
First check that the index mark on the steering gearbox output shaft is inline with the line on the gearbox shaft arm.
Then, you'll need to adjust the rod going forward so that the pitman faces straight forward towards the axle pivot.
Then adjust the rods going to each wheel so that the wheels are straight, with the front actually being about a 1/4" closer than the rear of the front wheels.

For the blow by smoke, run a can of Seafoam/MMO in the gas and run it hard to see if it helps clear any of it up. If not, perform a dry then wet compression test of all the cylinders to check the condition of the engine.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:03 am

As for the exhaust, you might consider selling yours and purchasing one that already has the underslung exhaust. I really love my 2 '55's for just that reason. Also, you don't have to be as careful to avoid low branches (only for self preservation!)

I will admit, however, that while mowing in my woods yesterday, the vertical exhaust/muffler did catch the spider webs before I got them smack in my face!!! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 am

Hey Mike:

G'day and congrats :applause: on the new to you 185 :D Hopefully the following links will be of use to you.

Number Series Cubs - Cub-185 Lo-Boy - International Cub 185 Lo-Boy Operator's Manual 8-75. I&T IH-Series Shop Manuals - IH-50 2004 Edition Complete Shop Manual.

We have a lot of resources for our members here and I always suggest that folks take the time to read the info in the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 am

Dale Finch wrote:As for the exhaust, you might consider selling yours and purchasing one that already has the underslung exhaust. I really love my 2 '55's for just that reason. Also, you don't have to be as careful to avoid low branches (only for self preservation!)

I will admit, however, that while mowing in my woods yesterday, the vertical exhaust/muffler did catch the spider webs before I got them smack in my face!!! :D

Dale, the numbered series has a different exhaust setup than the F-Cubs and offset LoBoys, they were all under the hood, facing forward then out the front left. And, unless I'm terribly mistaken, I believe he was referring to the blowby smoke coming out of the oil fill tube, not the exhaust.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:30 am

I have bronchitis so can't take the blow by smoke.
An engine overhaul will virtually eliminate blow-by. My 154 has some blow-by. The blow-by is directed down due to the shape of the oil filler cap and doesn't reach the operator.

The exhaust is higher up on the engine than the oil filler cap, so perhaps exhaust gasses are part of the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 am

On my tractor, the steering arm was bent. (the one that runs between the steering box and the front pivot arm by the oil pan)
The rod is supposed to be straight. Once straightened, it would steer the same radius in each direction.
It can get bent if an operator drives one tire into a solid item (like a tree).

I slipped a piece of 1/2" black pipe over the rod to add more support. A rod that has been bent before has a tendency to bend easier once again.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 pm

All of mine turn equal in both directions!--check as Ray said and go from there! thanks ; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”