Took the plunge - 184 acquisition

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 pm

I enjoy my F-Cub so much these days I decided to get a stablemate for her.

Found this original condition 184 about 15 miles from me, near the roadway with a for sale sign on it. I finally rang the gentleman, struck a deal, and brought it home this afternoon.

It was in his family for nearly 20 years and well taken care of. Has the creeper drive, dual brakes, 5-lug front hubs, and a 3160A deck. Also has a perfect plastic battery cover, complete with the OEM wingnuts. Can't say I ever saw that on a few other machines I looked at this year. I replaced the unblemished original seat with a high-back one I had on the shelf.

It's getting the requisite fluid changes this weekend, and I will need to get a new fan/alternator belt, it's labeled with "IH" which gives me an idea of how old it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Took the plunge - 184 acquisition

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Sweet tractor!

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:15 am

VERY NICE!!!! Yea, I'd say that's probably the original fan belt. In 1980 when they stopped building the 184, they also stopped printing IH on things (since it had dissolved by the end of 1981), so unless they bought a set of belts with the tractor, I'd have to guess that it's the original.

Bill

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:40 am

Looks great! Looks like a lot of grass to mow! Love the seat.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks fellas! I have to mow about 5 acres; we are slowly fencing in areas for goats and sheep where I plan to utilize this machine. Truthfully, the Exmark Zero Turn does all the finish mowing duties and makes quick work of it, and I find striping very satisfying! I wanted a rough-cut machine to comfortably mow perimeters and areas where I let it grow and don't want to wreck the ZT cutting it down once a month. I do miss the smoother ride of a compact tractor and a hood out in front of me- the ZT will beat you up quite well going slow or fast. Can't argue with how quickly the lawn gets done with a ZT, I just want to mow less area and less frequently, especially given this ridiculously rainy season we've had here in MD.

Our youngest approves of the addition! The serial number indicates it's a 1979, and that probably is the OEM fan belt!!! All other belts were serviced at some points during its history, even the PTO pair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Congrats :applause: on acquiring that nice 184 .. and welcome to the MCC .. the Mulitple Cub Club :?: :D

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:28 am

Very Nice 184 with a creeper! Looks like a turn-key tractor.
Be sure to get a free replacement gas cap for it. http://www.ihgascap.com/index.aspx

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 am

Nice tractor, so clean for its age. Enjoy.