This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Generator, Final Drive, Idle and Clutch

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
millerwelder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21015

154 Generator, Final Drive, Idle and Clutch

Postby millerwelder » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi I just restored a 154 and am still working out a few problems that I can't figure out or don't know much about.

1: Generator was producing random numbers on the meter. Same now after rebuild but noticed if I touch battery ground its an steady ~1volt even though the generator has good ground.

2: Right side drive make noise bad at slow speed, Looked in there and couldnt see the fluid level but the teeth weren't dry yet so I filled it and still noisy.

3: Engine runs intermitently and will die at low idle but runs fine some other times. Pilot/idle screw is adjust all the way in. Used to run it .5-1 turn out. Carberator was thouroughly went through and timing spot on.

4: Clutch has a clunky rattle at low rpm in neutral. Goes away with disengagement. Throw out bearing fresh and pressure/clutch plate tight. I Originally solved this by replacing the pilot bearing, which got rid of slop in the shaft. Then put 1/4 spacers between the engine flywheel and shaft, which pushed the shaft splines in and eliminated all slop in turning the clutch plate on the splines. It was flawless untill I put it all back together and the noise returned but not as loud as originally.

Any help is appreciated I still don't have much experiance with these machines opposed to cars and junk

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 Generator, Final Drive, Idle and Clutch

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 am

1: Generator was producing random numbers on the meter. Same now after rebuild but noticed if I touch battery ground its an steady ~1volt even though the generator has good ground.
Digital multi-meters will not provide an accurate reading. Check battery voltage with engine off. You want to see 12 plus volts. Run engine at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle - Check dash amp gauge to see if needle shows a charge.

2: Right side drive make noise bad at slow speed, Looked in there and couldnt see the fluid level but the teeth weren't dry yet so I filled it and still noisy.
Tear down time.

3: Engine runs intermitently and will die at low idle but runs fine some other times. Pilot/idle screw is adjust all the way in. Used to run it .5-1 turn out. Carberator was thouroughly went through and timing spot on.
Check fuel flow from tank to carburetor. If good, carburetor problem.

4: Clutch has a clunky rattle at low rpm in neutral.
Tunnel cover off, engine running and transmission in neutral. Check the throwout bearing mounting bracket.
I have an excuse. CRS.

millerwelder
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby millerwelder » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:36 pm

That sounds straight foward. The battery reads under 12 volts when running though but I'm gonna check those other things

millerwelder
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby millerwelder » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Back again. Wanting to figure out the charging problem still. Just been putting on the charger occasionally till now.

Tried to understand this article: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/e ... erator.htm

I did a couple things like grounding the F terminal (no results) and testing the resistance across F and A (correct). Also tested voltage with my digital "power probe" (compared to the multimeter) and was getting consistent 1.8 volts at half throttle and would smoothly decrease with less throttle. So still struggling. I should also note, when I rebuilt it, I tested continuity to the brushes and all that. I turned down the commutator but did not have the armature winding tested.
Any ideas? Thanks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:21 am

Charging problem. Since starter/generator cranks over the engine - - - problem is either the regulator or in the wiring. Most likely faulty voltage regulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 pm

For final drive noise, check wheel mounting bolts and final mounting bolts before tear down.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”