This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Any Adverse Effects of Removing PTO Belts?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LFEngineering
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01057

Any Adverse Effects of Removing PTO Belts?

Postby LFEngineering » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:18 am

I did a quick search and didn't come up with much. Are there any adverse affects if I remove the PTO Belts? I don't use the PTO nor do I plan to in the near future. That being said the pto also makes a bit of noise and it's kind of annoying. I figured why not save the wear and tear on the components and disconnect the belts for the time being. If I need the PTO I can always put them back on right?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Any Adverse Effects of Removing PTO Belts?

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 am

Removing the PTO drive belts is a real pain in the fanny. Removing the belts will eliminate the PTO rattle.

Think about this for a while. Read up on belt removal. If the belts are not in near new and excellent condition, and I had no immediate use for the PTO, I would just cut the belts. Write down the numbers on the belts. Buy new when I needed to reinstall and use the PTO.

I remove my hearing aids before operating machinery. Helps greatly.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Nope, snap them with a set of side cutters and never look back! They're expensive to replace, but as Eugene said, not worth the trouble to try to save unless they're brand new.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07 pm

If they are in really good shape, take them off the pulleys and tie them back so they don't get into anything and the drive shaft can't rub on them. If you luck out and they are still usable when you want the PTO, reinstalling them will be a lot easier than getting new ones in place.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”