This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's Your Warm-up Procedure?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LFEngineering
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01057

What's Your Warm-up Procedure?

Postby LFEngineering » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 am

With a nor'easter fast approaching I decided to brave the 17 degree temperatures and get some chores done before the storm. As I went thru my warm-up procedure I wondered what everyone else does.

I suppose my "procedure" starts the last time I shut the tractor off. Since my throttle cable occasionally freezes in position I like to leave it at half throttle after shutting it off that way when I go to fire it up it's not stuck at idle. I also like to leave the creeper engaged, I've had a few times where the creeper lever gets frozen and I can't shift into low. According to the manual I can run 10 weight oil if operating below 32 degrees, but since I live in New England and tomorrow could be 55 I decided to stick with 30w and pre-heat the oil before starting. To do so picked up a 400w Kats magnetic block heater and stuck it on the bottom of the oil pan. 30-45 min with the heater on and the oil pan and bottom of the block are warm to the touch. Lastly I pull the choke and turn the key. She normally fires up with no problems. As I mentioned earlier I leave the creeper engaged that way I can slowly head off towards my destination as it warms up without taxing the motor too much.

What do you guys do?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What's Your Warm-up Procedure?

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:18 am

Cover a portion of the radiator in cold weather.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danmcdonald
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60518

Postby danmcdonald » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:31 am

Start the tractor and go in the house for coffee 10-15 minuets.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:54 pm

After it sounds like its running decent,--let it run at fast idle for a good half hour ,--that way carb is not freezing up so fast before you hit the cold!--- hang side covers on the engine will help keep warm air in too!---just cut some old tin panels and wire them on,--dont gotta be nuttin fancy! thanks; sonny

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:38 am

My tractor is a turn-key. (but it does get to live inside an unheated pole barn)
Remove the battery tender, shake hands with shifter, pull out choke, depress clutch, turn key, open choke 1/2 way, drive. After a minute, fully open choke.
Nothing special needs to occur for cold weather.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”