184 sickle bar mower

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:42 am

Does anyone have any information on small sickle bar mowers that would fit a 184 with 3 pt? I realize that the pto shaft would need some sort of adapter (sleeve type perhaps?) . Seems as though the reverse direction would not be a problem...Thanks

Re: 184 sickle bar mower

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:28 pm

The bigger problem is the fact that the PTO on a 184 turns at engine speed instead of the standard 540 RPM. My guess is you won't find one that will run on the 184. They did make two different belly-mount sickle mowers that would work on the lo-boy tractors, but both are fairly rare and hard to come by. The best one would be the balanced head mower, which would let you mow with the cutter bar at up and down angles, so you could mow banks and ditches, but in all the years I've been playing with Cubs I've never seen one in person.

Unfortunately, chances are you just aren't going to find a sickle mower to run on your 184.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I saw one of the belly mounted sickle bars mowers on either a 184 or 185. It was a really neat setup. I stopped to admire the outfit and the owner came out to help me look at it. He was proud, REALLY proud, of it. WAY more money than I thought it was worth. Just happened to see it on a back road near Three Rivers, Michigan either 3 or 4 years ago.

Bill

Edit: spelling

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks for your ideas. I was kinda afraid that be the case but hoped I was wrong.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

Seems like you could use nearly any 3-point style as long as you addressed the PTO speed and direction with a Hub City gearbox.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:22 pm

That's true, you could use any Cat 1, 3-point, sickle bar mower if you had the PTO reducer/reverser. However, chances are that you'll spend more money buying the reducer/reverser than you will the sickle mower itself.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

they do make a adapter gearbox ,for the cub and 154 that change direction and slow pto down, but to find one. If the three pt mower is belt driven you can change pulley sizes.