Tractor won't start

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:47 pm

I have a Model 154. Tractor ran fine. stopped it and tried to restart. The motor turns over, have spark and gas, but it will not fire. Any thoughts?

Re: Tractor won't start

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Have you tried pulling the main jet and cleaning it out? Clean the small hole with soft copper wire and send compressed air through the jet to blow out any trash

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:37 pm

How long was the time period between you shutting off the engine and the engine's failure to start?

While you are cleaning out the carburetor's main jet, clean up the battery terminals and charge up the battery.

Check condition of the points, rotor, and distributor cap. Check ignition timing. Check the spark plugs and plug wires.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 am

Did you pull the plug on the fuel bowel on the carb to see if the gas is getting by the needle. Did you try starting fluid?

Wed May 07, 2014 8:33 pm

Check the clutch safety switch. This happened to me last year, the actuator arm broke off. Tried to get a replacement arm and couldn't find one so I bypassed the switch.

Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am

I'd try to get it going with starting fluid, if you can get it to fire for a few seconds on ether you've got a fuel problem. If it still doesn't fire I'd take a closer looking at the ignition, you may have spark but lost the timing some how.

Thu May 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Also, is it flooded? Have you pulled the plugs to see if their just soaked with fuel?