This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1969 LoBoy 154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tynker
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60403

1969 LoBoy 154

Postby Tynker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:59 pm

I have a dilema :lost: , I have taken on rebuilding the engine in my dad's cub that would still run, just didnt have any power. I mean you could drive it around, but if you tried to engage the mower deck it would not have the power to run it. That said, here is my problem. I have already disassembled most of the engine and have found the following, the valves were not "too bad", but I plan to replace them and lap the new valves in, the head gasket was burned between cylinder 2 and 3, the rod bearings were showing significant wear, so I will be replacing rod and main bearings after the engine is completely disassembled and throughly cleaned.
Here is my dilema, the rods, all 4, have the numbers ground off. I know I need the rod numbers to get the correct bearings, but how do I find out what I need? I do find it odd since this was an unmolested engine that the numbers were ground away leaving only the R1 and the trademark IH on that side. If it is any help, the pistons are domed and I do know the tractor dates to 1969 since my dad bought it in 1970. Any help is greatly appreciated. I had promised my dad last year we would rebuild the engine this spring, sadly, he passed away in March, but I am still going to do as I promised. :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1969 LoBoy 154

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:36 am

Back side of the rod and main bearings should have IH or manufacturer's part numbers and size.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tynker
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60403

Postby Tynker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Eugene wrote:Back side of the rod and main bearings should have IH or manufacturer's part numbers and size.

The bearings do have a part number along with the IH stamp, but I havent been able to find it on the parts list. The rod bearing is STD 274466 R1. If what I found is right, I believe these are the "narrow" rods, the bearing is .660, I believe the "wide" rod is over .750

Thanks! :thanx:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Your part number isn't in either of my Cub parts books.

Suggest visiting the auto parts store or Case/IH dealership with bearing in hand. They will be able to cross reference. Case/IH will be able to identify - for sure.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Since you said it had quite a bit of wear in the bearings, I suggest taking the crank to a machine shop to be checked and ground if needed before getting bearings. Might be a good idea for the block to be measured also, it may need bored.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”