Lo-boy 154 PTO Clutch Adjustment

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:17 pm

The manual that I have says that there should be a .050" difference reading the width of the clutch plates with the cam actuated and not actuated. And to adjust a locknut to change the reading. That adjustment is for the PTO clutch that was used prior to S/N 18709. Does anyone know what the adjustment is for the PTO clutch on S/N 29347, built in 1973? Or, better yet, where I can find that repair manual for that S/N? Thanks.

Re: Lo-boy 154 PTO Clutch Adjustment

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:58 am

Can't help with the specifics on clutch adjustment, but [url]binderbooks.com[/url] has what you need. Excellent quality and worth every penny. Good luck.

Bill

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 am

The later pto clutches should be adjusted to the same 0.050" difference between engaged/disengaged. The later ones did not have a locknut and are adjusted by adding shims to get the right distance. They are held in place with a snap ring that fits into the groove at the end of the shaft. (These shims are very thin, on the order of 0.003" each. HamiltonBobscubs has them.)
Charlie

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks Charlie. My new clutch pack, with new shims, just arrived in the mail from HamiltonBobs. I'll post as to how the rebuild went.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Rebuild went well but had some difficulty lining parts up. Engaged/disengaged setting is very near .050". PTO works great..... Thanks for the help.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Glad to be of help. These pto clutches actually work pretty well when adjusted properly, although you'll hear a lot of people "bad-mouth" them. Usually the complaints come when the friction discs are worn out or it simply needs adjusting to the 0.050" setting.
Charlie