This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch help

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hambone
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68142

Clutch help

Postby hambone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:17 pm

1979 low boy 184. Put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Clutch had a tag to insert washers between pressure plate and flywheel for thicker clutch. Clutch worked great about half way depressed but at full depressed clutch makes a loud grinding sound. Removed washers from under pressure plate and clutch wouldn't work at all. Used thinner washers under pressure plate but clutch still wouldn't disengage drive line. Moved drive line up a little towards motor because I thought pressure plate fingers were hitiing on the spine - didn't help. Any ideas appreciated - momma wants to get out and mow the grass when it stops rainning!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Re: Clutch help

Postby Andrew Z » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:58 am

Who did you get the clutch assembly from ?
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

hambone
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68142

Postby hambone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:26 am

Hamilton Bobs Cubs

Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Postby Andrew Z » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 am

I would call bob up and tell him your situation, he may have seen this before.
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

Mortgaged
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49546
Tractors Owned: 1951 F-Cub, 1964 Cub Cadet 120, 1985 Kubota B7200D

Postby Mortgaged » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:24 am

The fact that it was working at 1/2 pedal tells me you may have missed your pedal adjustment step? It sounds like you've got too much travel and something is interfering. Did you check the opening clearance between the disc and pressure plate with the pedal fully pressed? I recall the range was 0.015 to 0.020", but check it out in the service manual. Also, the manual states that you should have 1" of free travel before the clutch pedal does anything.

I installed the same parts from HB 2 weeks ago on my 184 with the thick washers and everything is working great. I checked all clearances and adjusted per the manual. My free pedal travel is close to 1" and the clutch does not disengage until the pedal is approx. 70-80% of full travel. I've pushed and leveled 10yds of topsoil, 18yds of mulch, pulled logs/trees and stumps with no issues. It did get a little hot pushing the dirt.

The driveshaft should be pushed all the way forward before tightening the set screws on the u-joint. The small end of the driveshaft just past the splines needs to rest in the pilot bearing for support on the clutch end.

If everything checks out per the manual, you may have a bad throw out bearing? Just a guess though.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”