This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter Generator Not Charging

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
millerwelder
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21015

Starter Generator Not Charging

Postby millerwelder » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi I have a 154 thats seems like the generator is not working. It has been rebuilt by me, coils tested for continuity, now rebuilt last week by an auto electric shop and it's still working exactly the same. It puts out ~1.5 volts at speed off the Main terminal without the voltage regulator connected, which seems right and then with the Main and F terminal connected to energize the field coil, it still produces 1.5 volts and not 12+. According to the article http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=811423 this means the field coil is open. It previously tested for continuity by me when it was apart and I'm assuming the repair shop did also. Also I tested it by jumping 12v to the Main and then the F terminal to see if the field coil energizes and stops the armature, which it did. Shown in this nice video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTsANakLf8 So now I have misleading test results and was wondering if anybody has any idea of what might be wrong or what else to test.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter Generator Not Charging

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Does the starter/generator crank the engine over? If so the problem is or at the voltage regulator.

The rebuilder would have bench tested the S/G to make sure it motorized.
I have an excuse. CRS.

millerwelder
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby millerwelder » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Yea it cranks the engine

millerwelder
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby millerwelder » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Ok so from what I'm understanding is crossing the Main and Field terminals, rectifies the voltage up to 12 volts to charge and thats what the regulator controls. I took the cover off the regulator to observe it and it's doing nothing (as expected). I manually tried switching it anyway even though I've already tested this by jumping the Main and Field terminals on the generator and voltage doesn't go up. Also the contacts are clean. It just appears that the generator isnt working even though every other test shows it is.

By the way, I just got a cub cadet 102 that has the same system and I went to test it to compare to the lo boy and it does exactly the same things. Only difference is the generator will build up in the range of 2-4 volts like speced but the lo boy only gets close to 2. The generator on the 102 was also rebuilt 3-4 years ago by a shop and the tractor was charging at one time but since I got it, it doesn't.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:58 pm

millerwelder wrote:It just appears that the generator isnt working even though every other test shows it is.
Regulator problem. Ground, not wired correctly, or just plain faulty.

Manuals section, top of page, would be a good source of information on regulators and electrical systems pertaining to Cubs.

Alternators rectify AC current to DC. DC generators do not need to rectify the current.
I have an excuse. CRS.