IH carburetor float adjustment

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
travlitt
Zip Code: 79118

IH carburetor float adjustment

Postby travlitt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:05 am

:help:
How do I adjust the float in this carburetor (IH carb.)
Thanks

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH carburetor float adjustment

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:42 am

Float height is 1 13/32 " (1.4" if you have calipers). This is measured with the top upside down so the needle valve is closed and without the gasket in place. The distance is from the edge of the upper half to the top of the float. To adjust height, remove the pivot pin and hold the flat brass next to the float with needle nose or small pliers and gently bend the float up or down depending on which what you need to add length. Reassemble and check. It may need to be done several times to get it right. Float drop is 3/16" ( or added to the previous measurement is 1.6"). Turn the top upside down and again measure without the gasket to what is now the bottom of the float. To adjust the drop, remove the pin and gently increase or decrease the bend at the little tab that is furthest from the float again using needle nose or small pliers. Reassemble, remeasure and readjust until both measurements are correct. Be cautious is the pin is stubborn, you can break off the "ear" on either side that the pin runs through.

Bob

Edited for correction
Last edited by Bob McCarty on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:41 am

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

travlitt
Zip Code: 79118

Postby travlitt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Thank you so very much for the information.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:31 pm

On any carburetor with the floats either being flat on top or having a horizontal seam line the way it was assembled the flat top or seam line should be parallel with the bowl surface. It's kind of an old timers rule of thumb a quick way to set the float height and then check the float drop. I do this in the field if the carb messes up.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.