IH Lowboy 184

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leeedwin9
Zip Code: 46706

IH Lowboy 184

Postby leeedwin9 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 pm

I have three IH 184 lowboys, each with a LB59 Woods finish mower. My favorite 184 began to stumble last summer and by season's end wouldn't operate the mower deck. It just goes slower and slower to the point that the engine will die unless the clutch is depressed. Then the engine slowly recovers RPMs and the process begins again. I switched decks so that the best deck is now on that tractor, but it didn't help. The latest deck has great bearings and sharp blades. As a test I removed the deck belt and turned on the electric PTO. The engine pulls hard even with the belt off of the PTO pulley. Regarding the engine, it has smoked some for the past 5 years or so, but always starts right up. I replaced the spark plugs and the coil last fall hoping for an improvement, but didn't see much difference. My local dealer was a Farmall dealership, then reduced to a Farmall Parts dealership, but now he only sells and services Cub Cadets, no IH stuff. I live in N.E. Indiana. Can anyone suggest a person/shop within a reasonable distance that might refresh my 184 for me at a fair and reasonable cost?

--Lee

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: IH Lowboy 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:22 am

Sounds like a great candidate for a cubfest.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

almikyska13
Zip Code: 60559

Postby almikyska13 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:01 pm

If you can trailer it to the western chicago suburbs id be glad to help you with it. Have you checked your governor linkages and springs? You said you replaced the coil. Hows the rest of the ignition system, points, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, etc.?
A good ole' carburetor cleaning did wonders on my 154.

almikyska13

Postby almikyska13 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 pm

You said it happens even with the PTO belt off. Does that mean it doesnt happen when the PTO is switched off? Only when the PTO is switched on?

leeedwin9
Zip Code: 46706

Postby leeedwin9 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Yes, sir. It runs and drives quite well until I switch on the electric PTO. Then with the PTO spinning, even with no load on the PTO, it becomes weak and the engine runs considerably slower. The governor may be the issue. I do not know much about governors.

--Lee

almikyska13

Postby almikyska13 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Just spinning the pto pulley wouldnt pull enough horsepower to cause the engine to bog down...unless maybe the bearings on the pto shaft are binding up causing the engine to struggle to turn it. Do you hear any unusual noises went you switch the pto on?

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:52 am

A couple of thoughts come to mind with the 184.
1) The belts turn all the time. If friction increases significantly when you turn on the PTO switch, then there may be a bad bearing or a misalignment of the PTO shaft.
2) The electric PTO clutch eats a bit of electric current. Perhaps the electrical load on the alternator is exposing some issue in the electrical system such as a bad connection to the battery? The alternator is more than capable of providing the amperage, I am just proposing a far reach attempt to help.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:20 am

outdoors4evr wrote:. . .
2) The electric PTO clutch eats a bit of electric current. Perhaps the electrical load on the alternator is exposing some issue in the electrical system such as a bad connection to the battery? The alternator is more than capable of providing the amperage, I am just proposing a far reach attempt to help.

Interesting possibility that I hadn't though of. I think there is a connector at the PTO pull-in coil. Unplug it there. Then try throwing the PTO engage switch. If it still pulls down, there is some electrical problem between the switch and the coil (probably a short of some type). If it doesn't pull down, use a second battery and jumper wires to engage the PTO. If it doesn't pull down, the problem is likely to be electrical, the PTO coil. If it does pull down, you are back to a mechanical problem such as a bearing in the PTO.

This is all still assuming the problem isn't the governor, which is the first thing I would verify.