Electrical ground issues

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

Electrical ground issues

Postby James Crews » Wed May 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Hello I haven't posted in quite a while but read the posts. I have a 185 Cub LoBoy that has sparks coming from under the dash pedestal when the dash plate moves and burned through the throttle cable . The wire from the volt meter to the solenoid also burned up . The tractor has no problem running I replaced the ground wire and scuffed up the bare metal on the transmission where ground is mounted. This tractor has lots of mechanical and some electrical rigging on it I have schematic and GSS-1408 service manual. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

IH154
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Electrical ground issues

Postby IH154 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Have you checked/followed all the wiring that goes near the general area where you seen the sparks from ? as that would help identify the problem . I looked up a picture of the what i think is of a dash from a 185 and i looks like the electric pto switch is very close to throttle cable ( you didn't mention where it burned through at ) so i would start there.

James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby James Crews » Thu May 07, 2015 5:34 am

Thank you the pto switch is gone the previous owner made the pto live so I never saw an switch I removed the entire harness to see any broken insulation. The wire inside the throttle cable is what burned through. The schematic looks like I could use 6 or 7 wires and run the tractor with oil light and headlights. The harness looks to have been altered a few times.
Would a new harness solve the problem?

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu May 07, 2015 7:22 am

A new wiring harness is probably the best way to fix. Replacing old wires one at a time is a real pain, but will get you back running again until the next wire wears, cracks, or breaks.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby James Crews » Thu May 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks for the replies I made a new wiring harness with the ignition circut oil light and lights works great. Thanks for the help.

Larry B
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 45325
Tractors Owned: IH 184

Postby Larry B » Fri May 08, 2015 6:55 pm

There is a possibility that you lost a ground from the the dash to the frame and the throttle cable became the ground. I have seen this before, it usually turns the control wire blue and melts the vinyl covering. The sparks could be from where the lever meets the mounting bracket. Saw a commercial mower loose the engine ground and when it tried to start all the current went through the throttle control. Smoked it! When you took it apart did you see any arc marks to metal? Sparks usually leave evidence behind.
Just a shot in the dark.

Larry B.

James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby James Crews » Fri May 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Actually I didn't see any marks on the metal but the harness was just crud, along with age and all the rigging by previous owner it could have marks where the wires go under the pedestal the throttle cable was blue like you were saying and could have been the cause.i just made a harness that had no safety switches only the oil pressure light.i was surprised how simple it was. I guess if you know how to wire houses and have rewired garden tractors it's not hard to do I just need to stop over thinking.

James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby James Crews » Sun May 17, 2015 7:49 am

Looks like the ammeter was the cause. I bought a plastic case ammeter from tractor supply and it was trying to find a ground I put a I bought a plastic case and meter from tractor supply and it was trying to find a ground I installed a metal cased ammeter and it works normally. The plastic cased ammeter burned up the wire going to the solenoid. Thanks Larry B for the pedestal ground suggestion it brought out the ammeter revealing itself. The tractor ran fine for a couple of hours after re wiring so I thought it was fine but those sparks started back and when I re grounded the pedestal then the plastic ammeter burned the solenoid wire. Thanks again I can finally put issue to rest