This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6-speed transmission

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

6-speed transmission

Postby bob in CT » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:33 pm

I met an interesting guy in Massachusetts on another matter and I spied a C-60 engine sitting in a numbered LoBoy chassis. He is in the process of grafting in a 6 speed boat transmission into the driveline right behind the flywheel and in front of the standard IH gearbox. I will visit again when he is further along to take some photos. It was one of those visits where I was going to pick up something advertized on Craigslist and spend the entire morning there.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: 6-speed transmission

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 am

Interesting... More Photos Please!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:59 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Interesting... More Photos Please!

It will be a couple of months, right now there is not much to see, just a frame marked up for modifications. It is about an hour away from here, unfortunately. I'll give him a call and get the make and model of the transmission. He said it was a $2200 unit that he picks up for $50. I guess there are a lot of old hulls around that are being junked.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:35 pm

When you call the builder, ask if the boat transmission has a gear ratio higher than 1 to 1. Also ask if the transmission has synchronizers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Eugene wrote:When you call the builder, ask if the boat transmission has a gear ratio higher than 1 to 1. Also ask if the transmission has synchronizers.

You betcha!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 am

I called Alden and got some more information. We talked about so many projects that we did not speak about this in detail and I came away with a poor understanding of his intent.

He used to used Cubs in the construction business for cleanup work. A cub with a blade could do the work of 2-3 laborers and it was the right sized for smaller jobs. The big disadvantage was the granny gear reverse. Construction equipment has a fast reverse for productivity. To solve this problem, he is installing a Borg Warner Velvet Drive which changes from forward to reverse. They have a version that operates without a torque converter and that is what he is using. They are capable of handling the power from a 454 boat motor and the torque converter units are widely used in the construction industry. He has the creeper gear that gives him 6 forward speeds, now he will have 6 in reverse.

He was not aware that the pulling tractors can be fitted with and additional forward speed. This would be perfect for the project as he was going to disable the reverse gear. Instead he has the option to make it 8 speeds forward and reverse.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”