Project: LoBoy Custom

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 11941

Re: Project: LoBoy Custom

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:05 am

Ok, back to beeness. More tear down on the LB. Wiring was a bear. Steering tower.......yeesh! But we got some "bones" now.

Rear view. Note the brace across the tranny top. Not stock. Sat on short pipes and there were nuts welded to frame rail tops.

Another point of interest. If you look below the bolt to right, you'll see weld on top, and on the side of the frame rail. Crack repair. The weld has failed on the lower portion and there is a crack.

Steering/flywheel area.

It can breath!!! Beautiful. isn't it?

This area is very cool to me. The castings, the mechanicalness. The fan!

So after more noodling, I've realized I've been lying to myself when I thought "mild" custom. It will change a fair amount. I want to put the hood, grill and gas tank from a Cub on this puppy. See it peaking through in the photo above? That will be the focus in the immediacy. Then we build from there. Stay tuned :thThumbsU

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @farmallcubcom

Postby Dennis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Very interesting. I love the engineering that goes into these projects. I wish I had those kind of talents :(
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:36 am

Got a good block of time in with the LB Custom. The point of focus was the engine area. More particularly the fan/radiator set up.

This is where we started.

My goal is to drop the radiator. And stretch it out. First, I flipped the top fan pulley. This thing is a hunk of humanity. Even the belt cone is cast iron. It weighed in at 10-1/2 lbs.! After the flip. Note that this keeps the pulleys in line.

To stretch the radiator placement I will use a spacer between the fan and pulley. This will eventually to made of aluminum. I didn't have the size needed in stock, so I turned a proto from brass for now.

The move came with the added benefit of getting the starter/gen more "outboard". Where it can be seen and not block the engine view. Plus, the belt still fits!

A bit of trimming on the radiator mounting brackets and that allowed to drop it to the proper place in between the frame rails :D

New look here. Went 2 inches forward and dropped 2-3/8". This sets up things for the look that I'm going for.

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Some pics of the brass fan spacer machining process. This is the proto, final will be lightweight aluminum.

This is one heavy unit........for now. Anyone in the market for a real expensive brass paperweight in the near future?

Suh-weet!

dgrapes59
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:45 pm

This is fun to follow, thanks for the play by play!

Good luck,
David

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 am

dgrapes59 wrote:This is fun to follow, thanks for the play by play!

Good luck,

Hi David, welcome aboard........the fun's just getting started :{_}:

Whew doggie, had some fun last night. Spent so much time in the shop last night..............I almost missed the school bus this morning :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, it all started with a desire to get the radiator supports in there new home, so the rad could be fully supported.

The supports.

They use to be bolted to the top of the frame rails. But with the rad lowered and set forward it was time for the point of no return.......cutting steel!!! (Darth Vadar approaching music)

So, after sharpening my sharpie, and some careful measurements, the sacrificial steel was determined.

Nestled in it's new home. Trued and clamped up.

Hard tacked and radiator bolted up.

Done deal.

Now's when things got creative. The "work" was done. Time to noodle. Noodle time is usually filled with small, ancillary accomplishments. Grinding, smoothing, lubricating, cleaning etc. The focus of my thoughts was the transition from grill to dashboard. More to the point, the lines I want at the end of the day. After some cutting, grinding and a bit of coercion, I fitted a late forties Cub hood/tank/dash on the LB. This is where the night ended........plenty of food to noodle :fing32:

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 pm

WOW, that's definitely some vision. I'm really liking it so-far and anxious to see more. Very nice work, and equipment to work with!!!

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:21 am

gitractorman wrote:WOW, that's definitely some vision. I'm really liking it so-far and anxious to see more. Very nice work, and equipment to work with!!!

Bill

Thanks Bill :D I'm starting to "see it". I usually go in with general ideas of what I'd like to do, but at the end of the day it evolves as the tractor itself changes. In the case of the LB, I was really impressed by the lines of the frame members as they curved and narrowed to the back. I wanted to bring out that shape and that triggered thoughts of it matching up with the rounded Cub tank. After mocking it up, I definitely liked the look.

As the design and direction get more finite, I'm hoping to garner more and more thoughts and opinions from you good folks. So please, don't be shy :mrgreen:

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:25 am

You know, one of the things I always thought the number series lo-boys were limited on was ground clearance. It may be the opposite direction from what you were thinking, but I was always curious about rotating the final drives back down like they are on a regular Cub, and making longer spindles for the front, giving it the stance of a regular Cub. Again, this might be the opposite direction of what you were thinking, but it's something I always thought about. Anyway, whatever you do will be impressive!

Also, I just thought and should have mentioned it earlier. If you get a set of the front dogleg supports for the regular Cub, and cut off the back/angled brackets on your radiator support, you should be able to use a standard Cub grill which will mold right into the hood. Again, you may already have another direction in mind, but just thought of it. Those back/angled supports are for the grill and fiberglass surround on the 154, which is going to be a bit wider and more square than the Cub hood. Again, just thoughts. You're probably way ahead of this.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:16 am

From what I've learned/observed, the final drives can be rotated 180 degrees with little fanfare. Other than putting the brake linkage on the backside. Other increments of rotation require some machining, it seems. My vision is keyed to the name......LoBoy. I'm thinking lower, a bit longer, and better balance front to back, tire-wise. There was a car referred to as a Lowboy back in the day. I like the look. I also like to tie the automotive look to the tractor look.

Interesting stuff you brought up with the grill, etc. It has been on my mind a lot. I think we're on the same page here, as I've had similar observations as yours.

I appreciate you weighing in on this, Bill. Please don't hesitate in the future. Sometimes, as we think over options, it triggers ideas that would not have occurred otherwise. :thanx:

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 am

No new "build" news from last night. Just some mocking up and measuring. Bringing in some parts I had squirreled away.

Figure it might be time to share where the "vision" is headed on this build. I like to tie the automotive to the tractor in both look and function. After mocking up the old Cub hood, it just dawned on me........this is called a LoBoy. One of the coolest rides ever was the Lowboy.

I plan on borrowing from the vibe, not copying it. Some mock up along those thoughts.

How cool is this?

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:52 pm

looks like someone was thinking along the same lines as you.

We've seen several lowered Cubs but never with spoke wheels. Maybe you weren't thinking of lowering your but the spoke wheels will be cool!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 am

ricky racer wrote:looks like someone was thinking along the same lines as you.

We've seen several lowered Cubs but never with spoke wheels. Maybe you weren't thinking of lowering your but the spoke wheels will be cool!!

Thanks! Appreciate the pics! I've seen a few lowered jobs thru the years. This will be lowered also. I like the front end linkage set up in your pics. I think that perhaps this will borrow a bit more from the auto side, and I also like to blend parts from different machines/equipment/scrap pieces/junk into the build. No rules/no time frame :D

Here's a link to my last build, if any folks would like to take a look:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravel ... ustom.html

tyrtrax
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 am

Just a liiiiiiiiittle bit of progress. Separated the tank from the hood section on the '49 Cub assembly. I'll be using the rear 15" or so of the tank. It will be cut right behind the fill neck. That will be re-used. The spot welding on this was top notch. Really uniform and tight. I do spot welding on an old dinosaur I have at my shop, so I can appreciate the quality. For those who have never undertaken this, basically I light grind the spot weld line, first. The individual spot welds are somewhat recessed and they keep their paint after the surrounding areas are bare. This lets you locate them. Then just drill those spots through. It's kind of a fun challenge. Sometimes, you drill them out and the two pieces just fall apart. This one I did well on the top......not as well on the sides. Then it's humble pie, hammer and sharp flat chisel time.

Mortgaged
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49546
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184, Cub Cadets: 1964 120, 1974 1450

Postby Mortgaged » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Based on your gravely posting, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with on that 154! Funny how you see an idea like sticking an old cub hood on a number series and think "why hasn't someone else done that?". Maybe someone has, but I've never seen it. Seems that most of us think inside the box too much?

Your shop is awesome and you've obviously got a lot of talent and love doing this stuff. Will your son be helping on this project too?