This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Project: LoBoy Custom

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 11941

Re: Project: LoBoy Custom

Postby tyrtrax » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 am

Mortgaged wrote:Based on your gravely posting, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with on that 154! Funny how you see an idea like sticking an old cub hood on a number series and think "why hasn't someone else done that?". Maybe someone has, but I've never seen it. Seems that most of us think inside the box too much?

Your shop is awesome and you've obviously got a lot of talent and love doing this stuff. Will your son be helping on this project too?

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I do indeed love doing these type things, and I think that perhaps "what if" spawns a lot of ideas in my mind. Some work out, some don't. But there is almost always something learned.

And yes, Mike will most certainly be knee deep in the build. He's not yet 20, but is becoming adept at a good number of fabricating skills. Way further ahead than I was at his age. He shares the passion for things mechanical. I'm very proud of him and very lucky for the opportunity to share time together.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Did some work on the LBC last night. Worked on the front axle. Flipping it to be exact. Pretty straight forward.

Stock

Removed, flipped, vised up.

I'm guessing front PTO casting. Got to go.

All set, with spindles flipped. Notice the lines where the curvature has the center lower this way.........like that look :fing32:

Friday I was cruising CL looking for tires. Came across a set of "old rims and tires, maybe Ford". It was on the way home from work, so Mike and I stopped by the house. Turned out to be teenage guy who "picks". They were four 19" Ford Model A rims. Tires were all odd, and basically roached. But those rims were coooooool :fing32: Got a killer deal as no one else kept their word about showing up, etc.

For the fun of it we mocked them up.

Mike saw it first. A look he'd seen before. As he explained it, I knew exactly what he was talking about. The look of cars I always admired, but knew I'd never have the money to own. So were switching gears a bit. We're both pretty stoked.

Now, we both know we can't replicate the look with tractor parts. And that's not the goal. But we want the vibe, the lines. Time will tell.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:56 am

Haha, you need the single long tailpipe running down the side. I'm eager to see how this turns out.
Jim

Circle of Safety

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:37 pm

skwimjim wrote:Haha, you need the single long tailpipe running down the side. I'm eager to see how this turns out.

That's one of two options we discussed. The other would be a 4 out of 1 engine side design. Got a ways to go, see what evolves. Thanks for lookin' :D

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 am

Me and the Miker had a hard days night in the shop last night. The old girl got stubborn, but we persevered. The goal was to pull the final drives off the tranny, so that we can spin them 180 to lengthen the rig.

Mike had dropped the tranny Saturday on a solo mission.

The driver side was pretty easy coming off. Check out the band brakes. This area has open access. We found acorns, naturally!

The other side was a problem. When Mike dropped the tranny, one of the bolt heads was basically rusted to point there was no hex shape. As these bolts ran thru the frame channels, he sawzalled the head off. Trouble being the short shank left didn't leave enough to grip and spin out.

So we hit, heated, and pried to no effect. The casting just wouldn't slide over the bolt shank. Time to weld on some leverage, in the form of a 2' length of 1/2" rod.

Put some mapp heat on it, saw the Kroil suck in, more heat from Mike. Slow, steady pressure...........pop!

Sawzalled off the bar, and put the Channelocks to it.

The object of our desire in hand, a good night of work complete!

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Love the play by play and pictures, it's coming along nicely!

Thanks for the update,
David

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:44 pm

dgrapes59 wrote:Love the play by play and pictures, it's coming along nicely!

Thanks for the update,

Thanks, and you're welcome.

I really can't wait to get the tires/wheels on. Just to see the stance, and footprint. Have a ways though. I have to build all new hubs to adapt to the Model A rims for starters. The rear will incorporate extensions. Slow and steady and enjoy the process. Well, that's the plan anyway :D

Thanks for lookin', always nice to have company!

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:46 am

Got a bit of time last night with the LBC. Still concentrating on the tranny situation so we can move on to getting the wheels on.

The tranny/final drive area had a rough life. The full extent was not known until we disassembled the area. On the bottom front of the tranny are two 1/2" bolts that bolt through a chassis cross member. BOTH bolt heads were snapped off. That takes some force. This was never fixed and the ensuing lack of support was rectified in a somewhat half fast manner. First order of business, get the studs out. No, no.....not you guys....the bolt studs :lol:

Anyhoo, center punch, drill, heat, easy out. Viola!

Also uncovered was a crack in the frame. Probably from the same event. Was "fixed" with an inferior weld, which gave way also.

As the plans are to have disc brakes, the old brake drums for the bands were removed. That went smooth.

After these projects were finished, we cleaned up a bit and the noodling process commenced. The highlight of which was remembering I had this old marine dash for a Volvo Penta stashed. It's chrome plated brass. I really like the look.

Here's a high buck version I found on the interweb.

Beefing and strengthening the chassis area where the tranny bolts up will be high priority. The goal is to fix it once, better than stock.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:04 pm

I'll be interested to see how you switch to disc brakes and whether that will be something I could do on one of mine.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:I'll be interested to see how you switch to disc brakes and whether that will be something I could do on one of mine.

Bob

A very recent brainstorm, Bob. In my shop with the LoBoy is a cafe/bobber I'm building. It was a wrecked '82 Honda CB750. As I'm fretting over the linkage/jack shafts etc. that would be needed from spinning the rear final drives, the front dual disc brakes on the Honda catch my eye. Dual disc, dual calipers, single reservoir, single actuator. Pic below.

As it was I had to build hub extension adapters to bring the rear tire stance out to the width of the front stance. Plus, this will allow me to adapt to the different wheel bolting pattern found on the Model A rims. So, what my plan is, to sandwich the discs between the existing wheel hubs and the new extensions. Rig up the calipers, and operate them simultaneously off one pedal. No need for dual steering brakes on this ride.

Motorcycle disc on existing hub, new extension, model A wheel/tire. You can get the dual disc brake setups used at junk yards or eBay. They are used on tons of bikes, so they are pretty common/reasonable. I think it just may work :?:

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:24 am

wow........you won't know that was even a lo-boy when you get done with it :)

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am

mastercraft wrote:wow........you won't know that was even a lo-boy when you get done with it :)

It will look a LOT different, no doubt. What I like is that 80 plus % will still be genuine Farmall/IH, just reconfigured. I'll know, and you'll know it's Lo Boy based, but if others not familiar see a vintage race car, then I'll smile there too. Appreciate you lookin'!

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:45 am

........a bit more progress. I use these washers at work for certain ship parts. 8" OD x 3" ID x 5/16" thick. Model A pattern, five holes on a 5-1/2" bolt hole circle. Drilled and tapped on the lathe.

Fit nice.

Next will be the plates to fit the LoBoy hubs.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:13 am

I'm loving the build!!! I just read your note about the disk brakes idea, and honestly, I think it's an excellent idea, if it's not going to be a "working machine". My only concern if you wanted to put it in the fields is that I've seen things get wrapped around the rear axle spindles (tall grass, branches, etc., and that would do a number on your potential disk brakes and lines. If it's going to be a show queen, something to cruise around at the tractor shows and cruise around the yard in, not really seeing field time, then I'd go for the disk brakes. They'll be WAY better at stopping than the crappy original brakes ever were, and should get rid of your issues with linkages to the old brakes. Looking VERY good!!!!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for the compliments and following along, I appreciate it.

And yes, her life will be basically lived on the flats. Perhaps some pulling around the yard, but more or less, it's rolling art. I've got a good amount of ideas worked out tin wise, so I'm anxious to get these hubs/extensions done so I can get it on four wheels and rolling.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”