This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Project: LoBoy Custom

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Project: LoBoy Custom

Postby twotone » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:22 am

Ditto on the machine work. Wow!
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 11941

Postby tyrtrax » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks everyone, the kind words are much appreciated.

Mike and I finished the hub builds last night at the shop and threw them on. Basically, installing the studs. Got some pics.

Rim/tire installed.

A pic we couldn't wait to take. Sheet metal here we come!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Haven't been here for a while that's neat. Good job on the fabricating.
Note, I noticed on my fel/backhoe project the frame was easy to twist and flex. I had the jack stands more to the rear.
It's really flimsy. I know your not there yet just food for thought.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 am

BigBill wrote:Haven't been here for a while that's neat. Good job on the fabricating.
Note, I noticed on my fel/backhoe project the frame was easy to twist and flex. I had the jack stands more to the rear.
It's really flimsy. I know your not there yet just food for thought.

Thanks. Yes, I'm not overly impressed by the "engineering" on this tractor when it comes to the frame. I'm especially alarmed at how the tranny/transfer case/finals are attached to said frame. It was born to fail, and in this case, it did. I will be addressing these issues through additional attachment points and added structural elements. Appreciate the input Bill, please don't hesitate in the future :thanx:

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:33 pm

I've heard this complaint a lot about folks working on the number series lo-boy tractors, about how flimsy the frames are. Honestly, you're correct, the frame is really lightly constructed. However, you need to keep in mind the intent of the tractor when it was designed, and what other tractors were out. The number series tractors were meant for "estate and commercial mowing". That's it! They weren't meant for construction work, farming, digging pits, running a back hoe, etc. They were just meant as big lawn mowers, nothing else. Also, keep in mind that IH had a LOT of other tractors to handle all kinds of other work, so when they meant that this was an "estate mower", that's what they meant. They had lots of other options for heavier duty work, and this was not. However, the fact that so many of them are around 40+ years later is quite a testament to how well they were built!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 am

gitractorman wrote:I've heard this complaint a lot about folks working on the number series lo-boy tractors, about how flimsy the frames are. Honestly, you're correct, the frame is really lightly constructed. However, you need to keep in mind the intent of the tractor when it was designed, and what other tractors were out. The number series tractors were meant for "estate and commercial mowing". That's it! They weren't meant for construction work, farming, digging pits, running a back hoe, etc. They were just meant as big lawn mowers, nothing else. Also, keep in mind that IH had a LOT of other tractors to handle all kinds of other work, so when they meant that this was an "estate mower", that's what they meant. They had lots of other options for heavier duty work, and this was not. However, the fact that so many of them are around 40+ years later is quite a testament to how well they were built!

Agreed on all counts. Especially, the longevity reference. Although, I think that more a testament to the drive train. These tractors are numerous on LI, as there were many estates(still today) and there was good dealer support. Tryac IH in Riverhead was a place I visited with Dad a lot as a lad.

As to the frame a bit further though, as someone who designs and builds parts/systems for the USN etc. and realizing that IH must have had very good engineering resources to bring to bear, I just can't understand how this got past them. Two points of attachment, and a profile that creates a weak fulcrum point. This coupled with the large oval frame hole right in line with the weak point just doesn't tell me much thought went into this. I plan on adding a gusset to make a third point of attachment on the transmission. The tapped hole is already there. That should greatly strengthen the area. Well, in theory any way :wink:

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 am

Oh, I agree completely. Extremely weak spot and it doesn't make much sense at all. I know the transmission is bolted to the frame near the front of the transmission too, so maybe the thought is that there shouldn't be any twisting moment at the back and it's only there to hold it in place? Regardless, yes, very weak spot on these tractors.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Rothgardens
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 08721
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub loboy
1950 Cub
1958 Wheel Horse RJ 58
1979 John Deere 950

Postby Rothgardens » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Loving this project!
ImageLow Budget Tractor!

TurboRoadster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy

Postby TurboRoadster » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:27 pm

how fast are you anticipating with the 1/2 diameter of stock tires?

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Any updates on this project? I really enjoyed following this thread.
Jim

Circle of Safety

n2crb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27295

Postby n2crb » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:48 pm

Cool project.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:50 am

Might need to turn a creeper around and use it as an overdrive to compensate for the tire diameter.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 am

Hello, anybody crazy enough to still be here? If so, you might want to sit down for this..........I did a little work on the LBC this weekend :omg: Just proves fact is stranger than fiction. Anyhoo, after refreshing my memory, I got back to fabbing up the new nose. If you recall, the grill/nose is from a '53 Farmall 300. It will require some alts to fit and get the look I want, though.

The first thing to do was to fit and weld in the old radiator stanchions. This required some cutting on the frame rails. This was mainly to allow the radiator to slide down within the frame to achieve a lower look to the LBC.

Having had the plasma cutter for a bit now, incredible tool. Clamped up a straight edge, and started cutting.

Here's where things ended up.

The original radiator stanchions were still used, but on opposite sides. This changed the angled portion to the back. The Farmall grill will be plumb, as opposed to the LoBoys which was sloped. They were also shortened/narrowed to compensate for the radiator dropping into the frame.

Clamped, welded.

Radiator fit in place.

Next up, the grill/nose. I love the vintage look, and more importantly, the IH tie in. What doesn't work is the width and the grill slope. The stock width was 19", the radiator is 17". Behind the engine will be the '49 Cub gas tank/dash. That is 15" wide. My goal was to make the grill/nose width a touch over 17" wide. Two reasons, one, to ease the transition aesthetically from nose to fuel tank. Two, to make the nose look longer..........and leaner. Faster, if you will.

Here's the stock look mocked up.

This is something I want look wise, the tires ahead of the nose.

Back to the plasma cutter. After the initial surgery. The black lines indicate what will be cut away for narrowing.

Initially, I was going to weld the outside pieces "flush" to the center rib. But after dry fitting I really liked the look of the center rib over lapping the outside pieces. It make the center more prominent, bolder. I was happy with the newer lines. Next, I have to noodle out some ways of attachment and take the angle from the grill. Stay tuned :fing32:

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:50 am

Glad to see you posting again. I have been wondering what happened to you. Nice work, as always!
Jim

Circle of Safety

tyrtrax
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby tyrtrax » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 am

Urbish wrote:Glad to see you posting again. I have been wondering what happened to you. Nice work, as always!

Thanks. Fall, Winter is generally when I get to work on these type things. Should be posting more frequently. Appreciate you "keeping the faith" :D

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”