LoBoy 154 runs, but won't move.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sound227
Zip Code: 18064

LoBoy 154 runs, but won't move.

Postby sound227 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Hello guys, new to the forums. I just purchased my second LoBoy 154 on Thursday, which is in much better shape than my first one. I was driving it around today to test it out, when all of a sudden I lost drive to the rear wheels. The engine runs, all of the gears are there and can be found and felt when pushing the tractor in gear, but the drive shaft is not moving when pushing it manually. My question is, before I start ripping things apart, is whether or not a rear shear pin or bolt might be the culprit? On my old one, I had a bolt that connected the front of the drive shaft to the engine snap... so that leads me to believe there may be a similar setup in the rear of the driveshaft? If that is the case, do I have to rip all of the sheet metal off to get to it? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old - paid $1150 with plow & brackets, deck and some 3 pt hitch pieces
Image[/URL]

New - paid $1100 with deck

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: LoBoy 154 runs, but won't move.

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:25 pm

You are on the right track. The clutch flywheel is attached to the transmission input shaft with a single bolt or pin (I believe it should be a grade 8 bolt). Your symptoms sound like it sheared. Here is an earlier thread on the same problem.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88709

sound227

Postby sound227 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for the fast reply and the help! I will start removing the panels and see what I find... just wanted to make sure it was a possibility before I took the time to remove everything. Do these snap from time to time, or are they the symptoms of a bigger issue, like a misalignment somewhere?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Somebody with more 154 experience may have more to say on the subject. But I am under the impression it just happens once in a while with no other contributing problems.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Remove only the panel located between the pedals, 4 bolts and a knob or two. This will provide visual access to the drive shaft and clutch.

If you remove the mower deck, there is room under the tractor to work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

twotone
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:05 pm

I've had that bolt back out after the lock nut came off. It broke the flywheel. The replacement I got from IH was a hex head grade ?.the bolt was real hard and black in color. Over 10 years of hard mowing,mostly ditches, and that was the only incident with that. It's not hard to fix if you have some mechanical experience. It would be much easier if your hands were the size of a 2 year old. You'll see what I mean.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Might as well dump the mower right off the go to give room under the tractor because it will give you better work space than from the top! thanks; sonny
P. S.---splines might have sheared off drive shaft also,----mine did ,real poor setup by IH!

sound227

Postby sound227 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks again for the help guys. I finally got it in the garage and dropped the mower deck and I saw this little guy stuck between some of the lines back there. I see the rear shaft where the pin would go in, which brings me to my next question. Is there an easy way to get a new pin in there? I have giant banana hands, and cannot get up through the bottom. I was going to take off all of the sheet metal to see if I can get it from the top, but thought I would here first. I checked out a few leads on google, some said I would have to pull the clutch to get access to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also read that I should make sure I use a soft bolt in the front of the shaft, and a hard bolt in the back incase it does snap in the future, the front one would be easier to replace. I am going to pull the side cover off to see what is up there before I go and run for a new rear bolt, should I replace the front with something softer if it is a hardened cap bolt as well?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am on the demo derby forums helping out the noobs, but I have zero knowledge about tractors.

Image[/URL]

sound227

Postby sound227 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:32 am

Nevermind.... Didn't take long to get the sheet metal off and I have access to it from the top. Thanks again!

sound227

Postby sound227 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:03 pm

New problem.

Got to the bolt, and when I put the tractor in gear to align the pin holes, I noticed that part that comes out of the tranny case split open when I pushed it one direction, and closed when I pushed the other direction. Just want to make sure I am correct here... it looks like this was the back part of the fly wheel snapped off? Thanks again.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Something sure is broke in there!!---check on that oil/grease leak while you are in there!! LOL! thanks; sonny

seahaul
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 154 with loader and 3-pt hitch
LoBoy 185 with Woods mower and 3-pt hitch
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower

Postby seahaul » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:13 am

The bolt goes through the hole in the "collar" on the rear side of the clutch flywheel. It looks like that collar is broken off of the flywheel. This is a cast piece and tends to break if there is much wobble in the alignment, such as when that bolt gets loose or worn.
You will need to remove the drive shaft and clutch in order to get the clutch flywheel off. Since this piece is cast metal, repair is not feasible and you will need to replace it. I suggest contacting HamiltonBobsCubs; he may have a good used one.
Charlie

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:18 am

seahaul wrote:You will need to remove the drive shaft and clutch in order to get the clutch flywheel off. Since this piece is cast metal, repair is not feasible and you will need to replace it.

After you get the old flywheel off, check the end of the shaft for wear. If it is too badly worn, you may get a repeat failure of the next flywheel.

sound227

Postby sound227 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks guys. From what I was seeing, and what I have read, that is what I assumed happened. Seems like a somewhat common issue. I figured the guy I purchased it from rigged something together just to sell it. I drove it for about 5 minutes there, and 3 minutes at my place before it let loose, and other than checking the pto clutch a few times, I didn't have any load on it. I was going to purchase the billet steel replacement that HamiltonBobsCubs offers so I don't have to deal with breaking a cast one again... here is a link to the flywheel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CLUTCH-PRESSURE-PLATE-FLYWHEEL-FROM-SOLID-BILLET-FITS-154-CUB-IH-LO-BOY-185-/351610825826?hash=item51dda36c62:g:~BMAAOSw~gRVhGWV Would that be my best bet? The tractor is in great shape otherwise, and I don't mind spending the extra if it gets me some extra life out of it. I will also check the shaft for excessive wear. My brother stopped by to see if it is something we can handle, and he said it seems like there might be a little excessive slack in the splines just feeling it, but he doesn't know enough to tell for sure until we get it apart. Thanks again.