This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pointers needed

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Muletrain
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27909
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub 49 Cub 55 Cub 64 Cub 78 Cub 44 A Farm Trac 390 4x4 David Bradleys, Planet Jr.s 2 mini donkeys

pointers needed

Postby Muletrain » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi Everyone Looking for some helpful info. Today I saw a 1977 model 184 with a 60 inch woods mower. Have not seen in person pictures only, quite a few pics and tractor /mower both seem to be in very good cond. Asking price is 2200 and is about 3 to 3.5 hours away. My biggest concern, I have never been around a 184 or any loboy models . What should I look for when I go to check it out in a few days? What do you think for value? I will try to do a little research but your years of exp. mean a lot more! Thanks for your help and opinions. Muletrain

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pointers needed

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 am

The numbered Cub Low-boys are great lawn mowers and small trailer movers. No or almost no implements available for them.

Check the tractor over as you would a standard Cub. Make sure everything works.

The asking price is in the ball park for a work ready 184.

I have a standard Cub and a 154. The standard Cub is a pretty decent lawn mower and there is a lot of available implements.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Muletrain
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub 49 Cub 55 Cub 64 Cub 78 Cub 44 A Farm Trac 390 4x4 David Bradleys, Planet Jr.s 2 mini donkeys

Postby Muletrain » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for the advice, was not aware of so few imp. Plan to use it for my mowing machine,bought a zero-turn last year that I would like to find a new home for.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:32 am

The 184 was a great machine, but has it's limits. A 60-inch mower is about all it will handle, and you need to keep the engine tuned well to keep it running the mower well. If it's out of time, needs a tune-up, or is blowing oil, it will not run the mower! The 18-hp engine is actually a great power plant, but a 60-inch mower is a load on it. So, just keep this in mind.

Also, keep in mind that this tractor is about 8-feet long, and has the turning radius of a Chevy truck, about 20-feet! They're not nimble, and most folks that have used modern equipment wouldn't spend an hour on a 184 mowing just because they're big and cumbersome. If you have a lot of trees to mow around, forget it! If you're getting off a zero turn, you're going to feel like you're driving a freight train! Also, you're going to be looking at clutching, braking, shifting, reversing, clutch, brake, shift, etc., every time you want to back up, turn, etc. Honestly, I spent most of my childhood on a 184, and I wouldn't give you 10-cents for one to mow with now!!! Modern equipment with foot controlled hydrostatic drive, regardless if it's a zero turn or a tractor, will run CIRCLES around a 184. Also, the 3-speed tranny has 1st gear which is too slow to mow with, 2nd which is just a little too fast, and third which is useless unless you're racing!

The only reason to have a 184 is because you really want a 184. I love these tractors, but wouldn't spend 10 minutes on one mowing my lawn! Big, heavy, bulky, don't turn, under powered, slow,

I HIGHLY recommend a Simplicity Conquest with a 50 or 54" mower which will do the same amount of work in about a third of the time, and will make your lawn look like a golf course. Also, the Simplicity tractors will do a 18-inch turning radius and with the foot controlled hydrostatic transmission, there's no clutching or changing gears. The similar Cub Cadet is a good machine too, but they don't cut as nice as Simplicity mowers and don't turn nearly as sharp!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Muletrain
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Muletrain » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:07 am

Thank You. I sure appreciate that one! Did not even think about turning radius. I'M realy wanting a tractor type, I mow three yards weekly, the farthest about 2 miles down the road, Looking for high gear to run down the road instead of pulling trailer around . See this is where we help each other out. If I had brought the 184 home unloaded then realize it took a parking lot to turn it around, well you know not nice. Thanks for your opinion.

seahaul
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28538
Tractors Owned: LoBoy 185 with Woods mower
LoBoy 184 with Woods mower and 3-pt
LoBoy 184 with RM59-LB mower

Postby seahaul » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:50 am

I mow with a 184 and I think it's a great mower. I have about 2 acres of lawn, nice and flat, with only a few trees or buildings to mow around and this tractor is perfect for my yard. It's very comfortable and easy to operate. Unlike a zero turn which you have to "drive" at all times with both hands, on this tractor you can just sit and ride. When you have a couple of hours to mow, it makes a difference not having to exert a lot of energy. It won't go as fast as some zero turns, but the faster you go, the rougher the ride. With the high flotation tires on a 184, the ride is very smooth. I mow in 2nd gear at full throttle which is a good speed.
As far as engine power, if the engine is in good condition it will cut anything a finish mower is supposed to cut. If you have really tough, tall grass and weeds, you need a "bush hog" type mower anyway.
So there you have two very different viewpoints about a 184. It depends on what you want to do with it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:20 am

My son can mow his property with a zero turn mower in about 1/3 the time it takes with a 154 or a narrow framed Cub Cadet. This property is just over 4/10 acre with trees, trellis, garden, buildings, propane tank, basically a lot of stuff to mow around.

I use my 154 and standard Cub to mow about 4 acres of black walnut plantation. Before walnut harvest time I use the narrow framed Cub Cadets, because of their shorter turning radius, to mow around the trees to be harvested.

The only reason I purchased my 154 was that it was cheap and bought is as a parts tractor for my standard Cub. Turned out that it only took minor repairs to put it into working condition.

My opinion. Rather than driving 3 hours one way to look at and perhaps buy a tractor, I would look for something closer to home. Living in a rural area there are frequent farm auctions and two ag type consignment auctions a year. If I were to purchase another tractor, I would purchase something a bit larger than the Cubs with more operator controlled features.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:04 pm

TIP!!!---at these consignment, (JUNK) auctions, I don't recommend buying anything that has new/near new paint on it because they are just that," junk", and you need to bid low on that kind of stuff!----that is where I get my parts tractors from!!! thanks; sonny

G G I H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21793
Tractors Owned: 1977 184 cub loboy

Postby G G I H » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:09 pm

I have to agree with seahaul I mow 3 acres through the summer I tried the MTD rebranded throw aways just to much yard I then went with wheel horse with 48 inch deck great tractor just to slow.
Then a couple of years ago I found a good deal on a 1977 184 and love it my property is mostly hill I mow it all in 2nd gear no problem sure it takes a little more room to turn and you have to use a clutch but it's a tractor I don't mind it I can say it's the most comfortable mowing tractor I've had steers easy and rides smooth

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”