This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 charging system check

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Squamish Scotty
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: V0N1H0

154 charging system check

Postby Squamish Scotty » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Greetings

I,m trying to determine if my starter generator / voltage regulator is charging the 12v battery when my 154 lobby is running.

The charge indicator gauge in the dash is new and AFAIK is wired correctly

The charge indicator needle on the dash gauge has the letter D and letter C on the dial (does this mean DC current or Discharge and Charge?)

When i turn on the ignition the needle moves slightly to the right towards C
When i crank it over, it starts and the needle stays neutral
When i rev it up the needle stays neutral
When i turn on the lights the needle dips way over to C

Is there any test a guy can do to see if battery is getting re charged adequately from the generator ?

Thanks for reading

Scotty

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 charging system check

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:01 pm

D-C stands for charge and discharge on an amp meter. You have yours hooked up backwards.

Multi meter on battery terminals. Analog meter is preferable. Read battery voltage with engine off. Again read battery voltage with engine running at 2/3 throttle. A voltage reading higher than than the initial battery voltage indicates the regulator and starter/generator are charging the battery.

If you have a digital multi-meter, read the battery voltage. Start and run the engine as indicated. Shut the engine off then promptly read battery voltage. If the 2nd reading is higher, then the electrical system is charging.

There is an electrical system diagnosis plan on this site. Was recently posted.

My guess, you need a new regulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Squamish Scotty
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: V0N1H0

Re: 154 charging system check

Postby Squamish Scotty » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:01 pm

thanks for that info Eugene...

S

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”