Gas leaking out of carb (newbie here)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Billiards
Zip Code: 49401

Gas leaking out of carb (newbie here)

Postby Billiards » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Newbie here!
I just purchased my first tractor ever and went with a 1974 lo-boy 154. I just purchased a house with 5 acres and thought a sub compact would be a great addition to have around. Anyway....

I did some forum searching and hunted for my symptoms to resolve the problem and think I have it figured out but figured it would be nice to have extra opinions since I'm new to this tractor stuff.

Symptom is: Gas coming out of the weep hole at the bottom of the carb when parked and shut off, which points me to needle and seat in the carb. But if I shut the valve off on the side of the gas bowl just below the tank it still leaks out of the weep hole. Although shutting off the gas valve WILL stall the engine but does not stop the gas from dripping out after sitting. Does it mean the shutoff is just not completely closing? Am I missing anything that could still be a problem or should rebuilding the carb and either replacing the gas bowl and shutoff or seeing if it's repairable fix my leak problem?

Any extra advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

attached is a pic of my "new" loboy.
Attachments
image.png

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Gas leaking out of carb (newbie here)

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:22 pm

What type carb are you using? IH or Zenith? Could be the float is out of adjustment causing the fuel to leak when the engine is shut off. The picture of the float drop is for the IH carb. Also could be trash not letting the needle valve seat properly. Stan
carb float setting.JPG

Billiards

Postby Billiards » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Zenith carb.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Zenith carb is standard on the numbered Cubs.

Sounds like you have two problems:
1) Needle valve and seat leaking. Could be float adjustment or trash under the needle valve.
2) Fuel tank shut off valve leaking.

The easiest to work on is the carburetor.

I have a bit of fuel leak from the carburetor when the tractor is off and the fuel shut off valve is left on. But during operation, the leak is so minor, less than fuel consumption, that it does not cause a problem.

And I am slowly changing the sediment bowl assembly to a ball valve and in line fuel filter on my tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Here's the float drop setting for Zenith carb and IH carb:
Zeneth Page-02-09.jpg

Billiards

Postby Billiards » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I inspected my carburetor a little closer and it appears to be an IH carb. It's stamped 2 places with IH.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm

The intake manifold mounting flange is a bit larger for the Zenith carb. IH carb has 3/4 inch throat. Eng 1, Rev 20, 12-75 says the change happened at engine SN 312390 but we all know many things have been changed on cubs over the years. Good luck with your 154, nice looking rig. Stan

kramjo
Zip Code: 49504

Postby kramjo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi newbie,

I just signed up tonight myself. I saw your post and I have had troubles with my carb on and off over the years. I use this link to help get the adjustments right. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Lurker%20Carl%27s%20Cub%20Carb%20Fixes/index.html. I have learned over the years to drain my carb over the winter since it is not used. That has helped me alot but I see by your attachment you're year round user. Good luck

Billiards

Postby Billiards » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 am

You are completely removing the sediment bowl Eugene? What type of ball valve are you using? Swagelock or something similar? Do you use the original pipe going to the carb or replacing it with new pipe?
Thanks,

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:51 am

I remove the entire sediment bowl. Use fuel line hose and a gravity flow fuel filter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_valve This is the type ball valve I use. The fittings are pipe thread. I use pipe thread to hose barb to attach the fuel line.

Local hardware store has the ball valve, hose barbs and any other pipe thread plumbing parts needed. The fuel line hose, fuel filter and hose clamps are from the local auto parts store.

There is a discussion on the suitability of fuel line hose over metal fuel line.

Cheap try. Put some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Shut off the fuel at the gas tank, as best you can. 2 or 3 quart catch container. Remove the hex nut on side of carburetor. Fuel will drain out. Open the sediment bowl shut off and drain out some fuel, a quick flush of fuel. Shut off the sediment bowl, replace the hex nut. This may remove any varnish or trash keeping the needle valve from seating.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Billiards

Postby Billiards » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:37 am

Eugene wrote:I remove the entire sediment bowl. Use fuel line hose and a gravity flow fuel filter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_valve This is the type ball valve I use. The fittings are pipe thread. I use pipe thread to hose barb to attach the fuel line.

Local hardware store has the ball valve, hose barbs and any other pipe thread plumbing parts needed. The fuel line hose, fuel filter and hose clamps are from the local auto parts store.

There is a discussion on the suitability of fuel line hose over metal fuel line.

Cheap try. Put some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Shut off the fuel at the gas tank, as best you can. 2 or 3 quart catch container. Remove the hex nut on side of carburetor. Fuel will drain out. Open the sediment bowl shut off and drain out some fuel, a quick flush of fuel. Shut off the sediment bowl, replace the hex nut. This may remove any varnish or trash keeping the needle valve from seating.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I did try running some carb cleaner through the tank with no success but have not tried removing any fittings and flushing. It's not much gas that makes its way through but I store in my pole barn and there's enough gas that it stinks my barn up pretty good. I like the ball valve idea!
Thanks again for all the help!!