This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH 185 Remove Right Side Final Drive

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kramjo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49504

IH 185 Remove Right Side Final Drive

Postby kramjo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:31 pm

I'm new to forums so please correct me if I'm screwing up. I have a lo-boy 185 purchased in 1975 by my father-in-law. I have managed to keep it running and do minor adjustments over the last 13 years. Now I have a problem that I think is beyond my skill set but I am willing to try.

The right side inner bearing of my lo-boy blew out. I think the final drive has to be removed in order to do the repairs. It appears the frame is in the way so my questions are:

1. Do I need to remove the final drive or should I anyway?
2. If I do, how? My shop manual does not have enough detail. It looks like I can remove the differential shaft and then unbolt and slide the final drive toward the back to free. All the other required parts are removed, brake rod, tire, pto mower deck, and its all jacked up and supported.
3. Is there a detailed manual that I should purchase for a better idea

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH 185 Remove Right Side Final Drive

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I am not familiar with the numbered series, but I am sure someone who is will be along soon. :wink:

Check the manual links at the top of the page and see if there are any that offer more information than what you have.

Good luck,
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:18 am

GSS-1408, Service Manual for Numbered Cubs is quite good. I purchased my service manual from one of the advertisers on this site.

I checked my manual to see if you could remove the rear axle without splitting the tractor. No definitive answer.

My thought, I would remove the sheet metal and have a closer look.

I split my 154 and slide the rear end out to work on the PTO, clutch, and creeper. Also let me inspect the brake bands, drain and replace the fluids.

Edit at 1:25 PM. Drove out to the acreage to take a look at my 154. It doesn't look like there is enough room to work on the bearing without splitting the tractor and then removing the final.
I have an excuse. CRS.

kramjo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49504

Postby kramjo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I had kinda come to the same conclusion. I have the tractor fairly well apart and see the frame is clearly in the way. I will look into buying the Service Manual to get a better idea of the complexity. I'm already deeper into this then I have ever been into anything mechanical. I am glad to know I have support if I go forward.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 pm

If you don't have one, get TC 131 International Parts Catalog. The parts manual will show you how things go together.

If the tractor is still on wheels, remove the mower deck and drain the rear end. You will need a large catch pan for the hydraulic fluid. You will need to get under the tractor to free up the clutch and brake linkage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”